Talk Cockatiels Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, i am new at this hub and its my first experience with cockatiels, can you help me please determining the gender of my lovely birds? As i know they are between 5 and 7 months old.

Attachments

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Are they all the same bird? The first and the last are for sure male because I can see the yellow mask coming through on their faces.
Thanks for the reply. The first and the last are the same bird, but the second is a different one. Can you help to determine if its a male or a female?

·
Registered
206 Posts
The second one appears to be male to me because it looks like it is getting yellow feathers on the face. I would just watch and see if the face becomes more and more yellow over the weeks. If it does, then you have a male. If it doesn't, it is most likely a female with yellow markings on the face. When my normal grey male was going through his first molt, he looked like what your pictures show so I'm pretty sure you have two males. If you for sure want to know, you could always DNA them or you could try wingspot sexing them. I find it works quite well with the normal grey mutation.

Attachments

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The second one appears to be male to me because it looks like it is getting yellow feathers on the face. I would just watch and see if the face becomes more and more yellow over the weeks. If it does, then you have a male. If it doesn't, it is most likely a female with yellow markings on the face. When my normal grey male was going through his first molt, he looked like what your pictures show so I'm pretty sure you have two males. If you for sure want to know, you could always DNA them or you could try wingspot sexing them. I find it works quite well with the normal grey mutation.
Ok dear thanks alot i will try to spot thr wings as mentioned above, and will wait for the near future to know better what i have here. I am hoping to have opposite genders, but if they are both males would it be a problem keeping them in the same cage?

·
Registered
206 Posts
Have you ever seen them fighting before? Since they are young, they should be fine in the same cage if they are both males. If you happen to get a female for one of them though, there could be a fight between the two because they both might want to get her attention. If so, I would separate them.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts