Talk Cockatiels Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have recently acquired a new canary and kakariki and the supplier was able to tell me their sex by looking at the vent. I wondered why this does not seem possible with cockatiels. Anyone know the answer?

·
Registered
885 Posts
I don't know about kakarikis, but it's a very unreliable way of sexing canaries. A friend of mine used to breed them and he said you can only really tell the difference between a hen and cock bird via the vent in breeding season when they are ready to breed. Even then it's not always accurate. It's something about the skin leading up to the vent, I can't quite remember.

·
Registered
878 Posts
I don't know about kakarikis or canaries, but the thread made me smile as I was reminded of the time I bought Puff from a breeder. The breeder assured me that my bird would be male - he said the vocalizations, yellow mask on his face, bright orange cheeks all pointed to a male in the normal tiel I was getting - and I was reminded that his opinion was reinforced by 25+ years in the business.

The well-check at the vet the same week revealed that Puff was female since she had yellow spots on her wing feathers that went all the way down close to the bird's body.

I only knew that someone was right about the sex and the other was wrong but that's it. During and after the first molt I saw no change, so I figured female, and Puff girl confirmed it a few months later by laying an egg. By then it didn't matter to me if there was any method to sexing young tiels but I've never heard anyone else say anything about the feather spots being a sexing clue since. :)

·
Premium Member
19,909 Posts
By then it didn't matter to me if there was any method to sexing young tiels but I've never heard anyone else say anything about the feather spots being a sexing clue since.
Actually we have several threads about that here on the forum. It's been a while since anyone has posted pictures of a birds wing spots for sexing but it's done that way as well.

I did have a breeder try to pelvic sex one of my birds once. She stated something along the lines of "if the pelvis is wider you have a female, smaller is a male." It's not 100% accurate because I had a hen at the time that was soooo tiny she would've sexed male and she definitely laid eggs.

·
Registered
878 Posts
...Actually we have several threads about that here on the forum. It's been a while since anyone has posted pictures of a birds wing spots for sexing but it's done that way as well...
That's good to know. I had practically tossed that whole vet visit out of my memory and any advice or suggestions from the vet that went with it.

It was going well with the exam of my new bird until I suggested that he draw blood to establish baseline labs for Puff's medical record. The avian vet then told me that we certainly could (and now would) do that because it was a good idea. Then he said that he would be drawing blood from the jugular and hadn't done it in a long time on a tiel so it would be good practice for him to get back into it with my bird. :eek:
He started to be pushy with the notion and practically insisted on going ahead as I more forcefully insisted that we would not.
I changed vets.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts