Talk Cockatiels Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have recently bought a 4 months old lutino cockatiel and I'm unsure of its gender. He/she is tame and very friendly. It is showing some signs of being a male in its appearance/looks and sometimes whistles (for a short time, almost once a day) but most of the time it vocalizes and squawks loudly like a female..
Can someone help me to identify the gender as this would be really helpful?☺ Here are some pictures of him/her:
Head Bird Leg Beak Comb
Bird Pet supply Parrot Cockatoo Mammal

·
Registered
24 Posts
Hey!! Hope you’re well. It may be hard at his/her age to tell the gender, but this looks male-like to me. In the first picture the bird’s cheeks are quite vibrant, which could be an indicator of a male. Is it possible that you take a picture of his/her tail feathers? That could also potentially be an indicator. He/she is stunning, by the way!!

·
Registered
I have normal greys, whiteface, pearl pieds, creamface cinnamons, and pearls.
673 Posts
VERY beautiful bird! Like the lady above said, it's really hard to tell without seeing the bottom of the tale feathers. Even that may not help, Latino's are difficult to sex. If you want to know for sure, the best way is a DNA test. There inexpensive and you get the results back in a week or less.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hi! Thank you for your replies! Okay, I will have to wait and see then in a couple of months.
I'm trying to get a photo of its tail but it is very energetic and all over the place right now so I will take one when he/she is calmer. I've read that females usually have grey spots on their tails but mine doesn't, as it is completely yellow. And thank you for the compliments, he/she is a real cutie😉 I will also look into taking a DNA test to be 100% sure of its sex.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Hi! Thank you for your replies! Okay, I will have to wait and see then in a couple of months.
I'm trying to get a photo of its tail but it is very energetic and all over the place right now so I will take one when he/she is calmer. I've read that females usually have grey spots on their tails but mine doesn't, as it is completely yellow. And thank you for the compliments, he/she is a real cutie😉 I will also look into taking a DNA test to be 100% sure of its sex.
Yes, a DNA a test should be your most accurate option. If the tail feathers are completely yellow with no sort of barring, stripes or spots, then it’s most likely a male, or a sign of a male. However, none of these things are more accurate than a DNA test. My guess is a male, though!! When you find out, may you please let us know? Sorry, I’m just curious😅😅

·
Registered
24 Posts
Hey! I think the cheek thing only applies to cockatiels with red cheeks. For a pearl whiteface it may be harder, but for males the coloring would be more dramatic and intense whereas females’ would be more muted, or even faded. Also, I actually have no idea what to do about muted chirps. I’ve never had any experience with something like that. Sorry, hope someone can help!!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts