Talk Cockatiels Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, i have a pair of LUTINO cockatiels and honestly i do not know their age. I am confused about their gender.
Let me explain the characteristics of the two birds:
BIRD 1
1. Whistles a lot. Different whistles that i teach her, she can reproduce within a weeks time
2. Very few yellow patches all over body and hardly any patches below the wings.
3. More of white as compared to the other one. Not pure white though
4. Since past 2 days fighting with BIRD 2
5. Tail end is not yellow

BIRD 2
1. Extremely quiet. Doesn;t whistle at all. Obedient too.
2. has Yellow stripes on one side of the under-wing and yellow spots on the other under-side of the wing
3. Has lot of yellow patches all over the body.
4. Tailend is quite yellow.

When i bought it the breeder in india said that BIRD 1 is Female (cheek spot is light orange) and BIRD 2 is Male (cheek spot is bright orange). But looks as if it is the reverse. No mating signs at all.
I would really appreciate your help in identifying their gender.
Thanks
Ritesh

·
Registered
6,100 Posts
Yes it sounds like bird 1 is likely male and bird 2 is likely female. If over a year old females have yellow spots on the underside of their flight feathers and stripes on their tailfeathers, male dont have these.

Other male behaviours are heart wings and beak banging.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes it sounds like bird 1 is likely male and bird 2 is likely female. If over a year old females have yellow spots on the underside of their flight feathers and stripes on their tailfeathers, male dont have these.

Other male behaviours are heart wings and beak banging.
Hey thanks so much. How can i find out their age? At what age do you think they will mate? Thanks again.

·
Registered
6,100 Posts
There is no way to find out their age visually.

Breeding two lutinos together is not a good idea, if possible I would try finding them different mates. Breeding two lutinos together can cause bald spots, a higher rate of deaths in the nest, higher DIS, smaller babies, weaker babies etc.

Its hard to say when or if they will mate, breeding season in the wild is spring and summer but in captivity hormones can rise at any time. Some tiels can start mating as young as 6 months( of course breeding shouldnt be allowed until at least 1 year old).

Also please do plenty of research on breeding cockatiels if thats what you want to do, here is the Breeding and Genetics section of the sticky library with helpful info, http://talkcockatiels.com/forumdisplay.php?f=33.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Suitable breed?

Hey Thanks. That was extremely fast.
Should i get a Normal Grey Male and Female and put them with the opp gender of Lutinos?
What breed would be the best in this case?
Also do you mean that it will be very unsafe if they mate with each other?
Thank you

·
Registered
6,100 Posts
Any other mutation than lutino will do. However pied will help reduce balding and thinning feathers so thats a good mutation to breed into lutino.

When breeding two lutinos together there is an increased risk of problems with the offspring such as smaller babies, weaker babies, higher rates of DIS eggs, higher rates of deaths, and of course bald spots. Lutinos seem to be the mutation that suffers from bald spots the most. Its not unsafe exactly its just better if they are paired to another mutation besides lutino for the reasons mentioned above.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks

Any other mutation than lutino will do. However pied will help reduce balding and thinning feathers so thats a good mutation to breed into lutino.

When breeding two lutinos together there is an increased risk of problems with the offspring such as smaller babies, weaker babies, higher rates of DIS eggs, higher rates of deaths, and of course bald spots. Lutinos seem to be the mutation that suffers from bald spots the most. Its not unsafe exactly its just better if they are paired to another mutation besides lutino for the reasons mentioned above.
Thank you so much. I will do some research on Pied and try to adopt a pair. Here in our city there are only sellers and i am very against buying birds. These ones are also adopted ones. Honestly i dont want them to breed but now if they are a male and female, I rather get them a company each and put them in different cages.

Thank you so much.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hi.
With reference to the above discussions, I just spotted checked my birds again.
BIRD 1 - Has a pale yellow cheek spot. Has 3 spots ONLY on ONE feather each side. Very LESS Yellow all over the body
BIRD 2 - Has a bright yellow cheek spot. Has many pearls/spots on many wings. Has yellow coloring at some places. Lots of yellow on the underside of the long tail.

I thought i will share this with you so as to confirm that Bird 1 is male and BIRD 2 is Female.

·
Registered
8,164 Posts
Cheek patches have nothing at all to do with gender. That is an old myth. ;)

But it does sound like your birds are of opposite gender than the breeder told you.

Also, Pieds are very difficult to sex visually so you may want to have them dna sexed before you buy them.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.