Talk Cockatiels Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone new to the group.

Was wondering if anyone had any advice on getting a fussy Tiel to eat anything other than seed.

She used to love broccoli but shes over that now. Ive tried offering her new foods a few days in a row she tastes them shakes her head and becomes uninterested. Ive tried bird bread as she likes to nibble on GF bread but wont touch the bird bread ive tried mashing the veg up giving it whole cooking it ive tried to offer it to her during our dinner time and offering her the veg im eating ive tried taking the seed away so if shes hungry she will eat whats there but end up having to give her seed as she wont eat.

Shes starting to get rippled flight feathers and breasts im at my witts end. My friend who had her first said she ate some veg at her place but here she wont. Shes comfortable and she has bonded with me this is just the only downfall

·
Registered
7,907 Posts
Hello there and welcome to the forum!

How long have you had your 'tiel? If she is still settling into her new environment, this can be a contributor to them being stubborn and only eating what they're used to.

I wouldn't reduce the amount of seed you are feeding her because they do starve themselves instead of eating something they don't like so please be careful with this as you don't want her weight to drop.

The trick I have found that works best with a fussy bird is chopped broccoli florets as small as seeds and sprinkling some on top of their seed. They are more likely to go for something different that is as similar in size as their current diet. You can also try this with pellets (you can get sizes small enough for budgies and finches that fussy 'tiels are more likely to go for).

Vegetables and herbs that are crunchy rather than soft or wet seem to appeal to them more, as moist foods tend to put off fussy eaters. You can try grating up some carrots really fine and sitting them in the fridge for a short while to dry them out a bit. Sprigs of rosemary are good too as they aren't moist and they love picking at the leaves as well as the stem itself.

·
Registered
975 Posts
Hi and welcome! My birds have generally been good eaters, although my latest two rescue birds had been only eating seed and tea biscuits (!) before I took them in so they needed time to adjust to my tiel nutriberries and veggies and the like. I always kept their seed in the mix so they would at least have something familiar in the beginning or they could have just stopped eating. It's always good to have a gram scale on hand to monitor their weight to make sure they're eating and to spot early illness.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.