Talk Cockatiels Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,520 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was at a pet store flipping through a birdie magazine (that I was too cheap to buy :blush:) and I flipped to a page where they presented their findings on the top 10 most popular names for tiels, budgies, big parrots, etc. etc. and guess what. To my complete and utter surprise :p, the name "Sunny" tops the list as THE most popular name for tiels as well as budgies and second most popular for conures and birds in general. Other popular names that I can remember that made it on more than one list are names like Lucky, Baby, Mango, Daisy, Sammy....sorry that's all I can remember. :blush:

Maybe I should re-name Sunny to something that is one of a kind that no other bird has....something like "Princess Phoenix Fireborn"? :lol: But something tells me evern THAT name is already taken. ;)

·
Registered
1,828 Posts
Hmmm i don't know, my animals have had some pretty odd names lol. I never named Smokey, he came like that but his new nickname is Kupo.

I've had budgies called Chroi (pronounced Kree, Irish for "love"), Argo, Bobbitalulah and Sky - ok, Sky is pretty common but it suited him lol.

Most of my other animals have been named after Final Fantasy or Legend of Zelda characters lol.

ETA - Sunnny is still a cute name lol

·
Registered
4,598 Posts
It really is hard to come up with unique names that aren't off the wall strange! Sunny is a good name, though, which is why it is so popular!

·
Registered
8,164 Posts
I like unique names. Luna has the most common name out of our flock...and I don't think it's too too common.

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
I wonder if we choose names that either mean something to us or we just know it's the "right" name. Must be a lot of folk who love the name Sunny..probably because it makes you feel good and is such a cheery name.

·
Premium Member
19,909 Posts
I like unique names. Luna has the most common name out of our flock...and I don't think it's too too common.
Bailey, every time I see Kirk's name I think of Capt. Kirk from Star Trek :p

I try to come up with unique names, but obviously two of my names are on the list already lol. I'm just not imaginative.

·
Registered
72 Posts
I adopted both of my 'tiels Sammy and Sonia with they're names already established, I didn't want to confuse them with new ones. X3 That's funny that "Sammy" is a popular bird name. I also considered changing his name to Sunny since it was so similar. Ha ha.

·
Registered
560 Posts
Awww it just shows that you have good taste :)

I generally choose names from animies or films. They are used by other people too but it depends on how main stream as to how common they are. For instance, we had a Ryo - could have been confused with Rio which is common after the movie, however her full name was Ryo-okhi after a completely different character :p

·
Registered
305 Posts
my birds were actually named after people - my family members in fact. my current bird is called Nussy, after my cousin Nusrat, and we are planning on getting a female tiel, who's probably going to be named after my sister, though it is odd that we chose the name before we even got the bird :)

·
Registered
16 Posts
I love the name Sunny, I wouldn't change it if I were you. Although, Princess Pheonix Fireborn certainly has a ring to it :p My little guy's name is Raiden. I didn't name him, and since I have a friend who's son's name is Raiden I'm going to call him Ray. I think Ray Ray is cute too.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts