Talk Cockatiels Forum banner
21 - 36 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
537 Posts
http://www.featherbrite.com/ecommer...roducts_id=7&zenid=7d10hdjin1srsjr8j8jm1n0ft7

This is what I was looking at... Birdie, I have changed almost all my light bulbs in my house to the energy effecient sprial tubes. We are going to have to anyway at some point in time. So tho't it might help my electric bill. It seems to so far. I'm not to worried about the mercury in them. I don't think it is much. Just have to be careful not to drop one.. :) And just think when we were kyds and when our kyds were growing up we used thermometers to take temeratures that had mercury in them.

I think Sweetsue is talking about the florescent long tubes that are full spectrum.

·
Registered
5,102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
The ones that did the damage are the reptisun self ballasted compact fluorescent. They were not the spiral type. They were 26 watt which translates to 130 watt incandescent. I have used Reptiglo 26 watt spiral bulbs with no problem. I'm going to switch over to the Vita-lite fluorescent tubes. Yes you can use an aqurium hood lamp. They have a variety of sizes. I just buy an inexpensive fixture for about $10 and buy the size tube to fit. I'm going to use 18" since that's what my other ones are and they will cover approx half the cage.
I came on to post that Buddy is back to his old self again. Singing softly from inside the box to Harriet. Both his eyes are open now and he seems fine. Harriet has both eyes open too tho one of them seems a little sleepy yet.

·
Registered
10,914 Posts
was thinking about putting a 15w full specturm light bulb in one of the shades
UV light only travels for a short distance so the full spectrum bulb has to be close to the birds to have the intended effect. We're talking within a couple of feet.

·
Registered
359 Posts
Jasonsgal: I no longer have any aquarian. I have 2 hood lamps, one takes 2 of the short tube bulbs that was for my 10 ga. tank. I also have a small one that only uses 1 bulb. I want to use one of them for the cockatiel and want one that replaces the sunshine that we seldom have much of for the next few months here in Illinois. I'm not positive on what bulb to use. He has been molting and getting some molting & conditioning food as well as calcium and Vivi 13+ vitamins. ps: really getting into vegies . Tonight we had our own plates and he ate hardily peas, corn, long grain rice. He loved it. :D

·
Registered
359 Posts
Can someone help me with what wattage full spectrum bulb to get for the cockatiel? I will be using an aquarium light, screw in bulb. This is my first tiel so I have never known anything about the bulbs to keep them healthy.

All recommendations will be appreciated. Thank you

·
Queen of the Pieds
2,706 Posts
thats great they are improving sue.....im sure its been a tense time.....but its sweet they seem to have bonded more because of it....i guess the whole saying what doesnt kill u makes you stronger also works on the shared relationship!!

·
Registered
5,102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
"Can someone help me with what wattage full spectrum bulb to get for the cockatiel?" The ones I have used with no problem Birdie were Repti Glo 2.0 UVB 26 watt. They are the screw in type.
Thank You Kim! I'm still watching them like a hawk (that must be disturbing). Buddy is completely Normal but Harriet not quite yet. Arnold keeps telling me "Don't worry","She will be fine tomorrow" but when was the last time somebody told you "Don't worry" That you actually didn't....Oh OK...Yea...Like that works!...To myself I said that!

·
Registered
5,102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
I thought I would show you guys how they are doing.
Birdhouse Wood Yellow Parrot Parakeet
You would never know anything had happened to Buddy

Bird Cockatiel Vertebrate Cage Beak
You can see a little red spot over Harriet's eye. She is still holding her other eye closed but opens it after I mist her.

·
Registered
10,914 Posts
The ones I have used with no problem Birdie were Repti Glo 2.0 UVB 26 watt. They are the screw in type.
That sounds like a reptile light, and I'm guessing that maybe reptile lights are the only kind of full spectrum bulbs that will fit an aquarium fixture. I'm glad that you didn't have any problems with it, but the idea makes me nervous because reptile lights are NOT recommended for use with birds. Reptiles need more intense levels of UV light and these bulbs are overly strong for birds.

I made a misstatement earlier in the thread which I will correct shortly. Birds need UVA and not UVB, which is more intense. Reptiles DO need UVB so reptile lights include that part of the spectrum.

·
Registered
5,102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
I don't really get that since birds are related to reptiles. but there are different strengths 2.0, 5.0, and the dangerous 10.0. Zoo med recommends the use of the 5.0 for birds but them they are the manufacturer

·
Registered
10,914 Posts
If the manufacturer recommends the bulb for birds then presumably they know what they're talking about. I don't understand the technical differences between the various types of bulbs so we're basically left hoping that the manufacturers know what they're doing!

Birds and reptiles are related (as all living things are related) but they're different classes of vertebrates so there are some significant differences between them. I don't know how those differences translate into different lighting needs to prevent nutritional deficiencies. Maybe warm-bloodedness versus cold-bloodedness has something to do with it? Birds generate their own internal heat and that might help with various metabolic functions.

·
Registered
5,102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
Science has shown that birds evolved from warm blooded small dinosaurs. Maybe the lights wouldn't have been good for them either. I'm just going to go with the independent study that I saw that put Vita-lite first in the study to come closest to the wavelength of the sun. Since it was an independent study I don't have to follow the recommendation of the manufacturer who clearly profits from my buying their product.

·
Registered
10,914 Posts
I really wish someone would do more studies on these lights, because it's nerve-wracking trying to figure out what's best. I dithered for months before I finally went ahead and bought a full-spectrum light made specifically for birds, and now that I have it I use it infrequently because I'm still scared that it might do more harm than good. Some people have gotten wonderful results with the lights, while others (including my avian vet) say they're useless, and still others say they're harmful. And nobody really knows who's right!

·
Registered
5,102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 ·
If it's a 5.0 or less it's safe! I have been using 2.0 and 5.0 for 8 hrs a day. I turn on regular room lights and open shades at 8 am. then I turn FS lights on at about 10. Then I turn the FS lights off about 6 pm, then the regular light goes off at 8 or 9. I have had no problem with the 2.0 and the 5.0, they have both been fine. BTW Harriet is back to normal today.

21 - 36 of 36 Posts