Talk Cockatiels Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is it ok to give them the veggies that come frozen in the bags? After I defrost them of course. What about canned veggies? Or does it have to be 100% fresh veggies? Just some things I was wondering because when I got my tiels they had a little bowl of veggies in there and they were all eating but I am not sure what kind of veggies I can give them.

·
Registered
5,022 Posts
yup its ok to give them frozen ones ;) I would stay away from the canned veggies there usually high in sodium

·
Registered
5,602 Posts
I agree with Laura. No canned since the sodium and preservitives..etc. I buy a large bag of frozen mixed veggies, they come already chopped and it has carrots, sweetpeas, green beans, lima beans and corn. I always steam their veggies though since...well, lima beans have to be cooked or it'll give them digestive problems. They also get other raw veggies and fruits daily.

·
Registered
5,602 Posts
I tried Dooby on frozen veg.....he turned his beak up at them!! LOL. I have to admit, I don't like frozen veg myself, so now I just give him fresh veg.
:)Fresh is best- mine like most of their things steamed though..these picky children!:rolleyes:

·
Registered
7,294 Posts
My guys aren't keen on frozen stuff either. I find they're not as yummy myself so i guess i can't blame them. :p They do like frozen peas and corn though.

·
Registered
5,022 Posts
mine aren't big on the frozen either except for Ollie he will eat anything, Georgie the Queen prefer's her's fresh.

·
Registered
5,602 Posts
Although i think that's a good thing in birds because they'll try new foods easier. ;)
That's true. The easiest way to get Baby to eat new food is to fix myself a plate and don't let her go for it at first. She watches me and tries her best to get to it to taste it- then I pretend I accidently let her ON the plate...what a silly bird...she falls for it everytime. I guess curiosity is big.

·
Registered
7,294 Posts
That won't work for my tiels most of the time. Often, when they do take a bite of something of mine thinking it's something great, they shake their heads, mouth open, like i tried to poison them. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
5,602 Posts
That won't work for my tiels most of the time. Often, when they do take a bite of something of mine thinking it's something great, they shake their heads, mouth open, like i tried to poison them. :rolleyes:
LOL- sounds familiar- they must be like yuck! what are you eating!!!

·
Registered
7,294 Posts
Raw broccoli is a favourite with my birds, if i cook it then they turn their beaks up at it. :p

·
Registered
4,803 Posts
I give mine all 3 versions , I buy a bag of mixed veggies and just take out the amount I need and put it in the microwave, then let it cool off , I give them fresh veggies from our garden, and they get canned as well, BUT not as much as the fresh/frozen

·
Registered
5,602 Posts
I give mine all 3 versions , I buy a bag of mixed veggies and just take out the amount I need and put it in the microwave, then let it cool off , I give them fresh veggies from our garden, and they get canned as well, BUT not as much as the fresh/frozen

I do the same- no canned but a variety of fresh and frozen- it must be nice to have your own garden- even if I had one I'd probably kill every plant there- the only thing I can keep alive is bamboo-just add water.hehe

1 - 20 of 20 Posts