Talk Cockatiels Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
usualy my cockatiel don't like eachother and fight but today i saw somting like this:

is this mean the are friends now?

(i can't take photo when i traing to take photo thay stopping doing this )

·
Premium Member
19,909 Posts
That is a sign of them liking each other but the fighting is not a good sign either. If they are fighting then it's best to separate them.

Once again, please link to the site that you found the picture at, thanks!

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
i don't know what to do. before thay don't fight and don't huge like this. and something changed with my lutino his standing in strange pose and make strange sound. she is raise hi tail above head (she never done this before)

·
Premium Member
19,909 Posts
Sounds like they want to mate with each other.

·
Registered
648 Posts
Yes, they don't really care about each other's sexes.
You'll want to rearranged the interior of their cage (move perches, food bowls, toys, etc.) but do it in the morning so that by night time they're used to the changes and won't freak out if they wake up and everything's not where it "should" be. They can have night frights if you do it in the afternoon and they're still adjusting to their "new" environments when put to bed.

You'll need to extend their nights by covering them up earlier so they think it's bed time and sleep longer hours. I think it's like 12 hours sleep that's recommended for hormone control? Leave a night light on but have the interior of the cage only lit in the way that bright moonlight would light it.
The lights needed to ward off night fights but any light too bright might not trick them into thinking its night and, worse, it also might backfire in the sense that it could look to them as a perfect cosy shaddowy place to lay some eggs (aka exactly what you're trying to avoid).

Also! Don't let them go into little nooks and crannies that they could think are decent nesting places like, I don't know, cupboards or under beds/couches, etc.
sometimes they even try to get all nesty over things like food dishes, if they're big enough to climb into, in which case you need to remove the bowls.

Give them cuttlebone, they should have calcium anyway but it's especially important if they are hormonal and might be going to lay.

·
Premium Member
19,909 Posts
You'll want to provide them with the appropriate nutrition, a varied diet of seeds, veggies, and pellets, along with calcium. Let them sit until they abandon the eggs. But yes, you'll want to try to prevent it before anything else.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts