Talk Cockatiels Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone
I really need some advice on my 4-year-old cockatiel Robin, who I've had since a chick. He is my only bird. I hand-reared him and he was always super sweet and gentle, he's never really been confident or adventurous, he is quite timid in nature.

Although at about 1 1/2 years old he started trusting me less. I must admit that this was probably my fault as I didn't let him out of his cage much when he learnt to fly, and I'm away a lot during the day because of school. He is very hand-shy now and is hesitant of me when I try to pet him even though I raised him. Whenever I take him out of his cage he either just sits on top of the cage pruning himself or he will fall asleep on my curtain rod.

He is even scared of some of his toys and is only curious about a few things like paper, he won't even bathe himself which I hear is usually something birds love and he doesn't like to try new food or treats either. He doesn't often like to explore and is very hesitant of new things (eg. I got him a swing about a year ago and he still hasn't touched it) So as you can see, he is quite shy.

He has never been super aggressive towards me, he has nipped me once or twice but otherwise, he's really gentle and even gives me kisses through the cage. He whistles to me, responds when I call his name, he sometimes bows when he greets me which is super cute and occasionally copies my yawns; but he won't let me pet him, is very scared when he sits on my hand and will barely ever take treats from me.

I have recently been trying to let him out of his cage as often as I can. I've tried to be patient and followed the guidelines on the internet about trying to slowly get him to trust me by giving him treats and things like that but it never seems to work. It's really hard to teach him to trust me because of him not being curious of much and being so skittish.

I know that he loves being pet but he's just become frightful. I don't know how to show him that he can still trust me.
Please help

·
Registered
71 Posts
It takes time and patience! Every day without fail. Take him out. I bet he comes around quickly! Birds are frightened easily by nature. Just trust in yourself and devote time. I can’t say it enough! Make sure you aren’t nervous. The bird can tell. Some birds don’t like certain toys. Take the swing out and try it again at a later date. You said he likes paper. Make him a toy! Don’t give up on him. I recently adopted a 12 year old cockatiel who was hand fed and completely tame then left in his cage for 10 years. In one week he’s pretty tame again! He still bites a little but he’s not flying around as much! He’d rather be with one of us already. So, I don’t think they lose what they had. You just have to bring it back out of them again. My Zeek is loving life again!

1 - 2 of 2 Posts