Talk Cockatiels Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys,
Coco & Cindy have been with us for around one-and-a-half years. Both are from pet-stores & came at 6-9months of age. They are scared of hands but love feeding from hands. We kept de-sensitising them towards our hands & sometimes would sit on our hands too, but would never "step-up". We let them be, and never forced, hoping the progress would continue. We let them fly around, within closed-indoors, hoping they would feel at-home & trust us more.

But, ever since we had to handle them(with a towel) for VetVisits, travels and minor self-checkups and the Vet had to hold them to clip nails/administer drops, they are back to their scaredy-origins. I've been trying to give them treats, speak patiently, but they're extremely terrified at hands now, and hiss in fear.

I seem to be losing my patience, but still trying. Any way to tame them at all?

·
Registered
7,907 Posts
Are they a bonded pair? This can complicate the taming process. My pair, Honey and Henry, who have had eggs together in the past and have been bonded for a couple of years now, want nothing to do with me a lot of the time. But, occasionally, Honey will fly over to me if I'm resting and perch on me quietly, and she used to step up when her wings were clipped. I try my best to hand-feed them treats, but it depends on their mood and the time of day as to whether they will take it from me or not. So all I can say is to keep trying, and try to not lose patience. With time, they should soften. I know it's hard, hopefully some other members will have some useful advice.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, CharVicki. They're bonded, been together for about one-and-half years and have been mating since last summer - No Nest box, so no eggs either (right? ). They strictly draw a line, as to only hands-with-treats are allowed anywhere near. Empty/Open hands denote danger probably, and get scared & start hissing.

Initially, there was a bit of progress - like sitting on hands/shoulders for treats, until around vetVisits/travelcage-travels, each became over-protective of the other. It's good that they look out for each other. Now both are always alert & easily startled, even if I'm changing water/seeds.

We let them be as they want to, but it would be better if we could get closer.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts