Talk Cockatiels Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
quite often--a couple times a day, miso will do this thing where he'll be standing perfectly content on top of the rope i have attached to the top of his cage in an arch. he just loves it. but then out of nowhere he'll start chirping and flapping all frantically and won't calm down until i walk over and try to get his attention, then when he finally stops flapping he's all tense until i pet him a little bit.

i don't know whether it's him losing his footing and freaking out all of a sudden, cus he does it when he's sitting on top of the cage and not on the rope too. anyone know what this is and the best way to solve it?

·
Registered
2,384 Posts
Joey does this occasionally, if he sees a gnat or fly. I can't convince him he is bigger than the offending bug, and that he people eat bugs. He is still terrified of them. Do you think maybe Miso sees something that scares him? Is he near a window where he might see something outside? Just trying to think of possibilities. Joey occasionally does it when he loses his footing, but it never lasts as long as when he is frightened.

·
Registered
786 Posts
Milo does this same thing. I always thought he was just stretching his wings ;) Sometimes he does it on my hand when I am taking him to put him in his cage. Like enigma says, maybe its a reaction to something we can't see or hear. Hmmm.

·
Registered
8,086 Posts
There is a behavior where they'll hold onto something and beat their wings really fast for exercise. But in my experience that's different from getting spooked by something and flailing around. Often mine will flail for no apparent reason and then a few moments later, I'll hear that it was a siren or loud car on the street near my apartment. They just pick it up faster than I can. And then other times I never know what it is that sets them off.

·
Banned
2,058 Posts
There is a behavior where they'll hold onto something and beat their wings really fast for exercise. But in my experience that's different from getting spooked by something and flailing around. Often mine will flail for no apparent reason and then a few moments later, I'll hear that it was a siren or loud car on the street near my apartment. They just pick it up faster than I can. And then other times I never know what it is that sets them off.
Yes Rocko does that flaps his wings for excercise he does it every morning when he wakes up and does some stretches.Morning gym lol.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
thinking about it now, it would make sense its just something we dont notice startling them. we do live behind a highway thats pretty busy during the day, it wouldnt be unlikely o:

·
Registered
761 Posts
If Murray sees a magpie she squeaks and bombs around the flat as a kind of knee jerk reaction. Perhaps if your birdie is clipped this is his version of that!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts