Talk Cockatiels Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Frank has been with me since last August and in all this time getting him wet, even just a slight mist, has been impossible. He will fly away when I try to spray him, if I do it in the morning before letting him out of his cage he will scream bloody murder, basically he is my only bird I have never seen doing the rain dance, in any circumstance. I didn't want to force him so I let him be.
But the other day my partner, who notices nothing [not even when I dyed my hair blue], called him Scruffy Beggar and commented on how different he looked from the rest of the flock... so I said ok enough, put some lukewarm water in the sink, grabbed him and gave him a bath.
Very surprisingly he didn't put much of a fight on and didn't scream as he does when I try to mist him, so maybe this way is less shocking for him?
I don't want to traumatise him but he is moulting, they all are but the others either bathe in water dishes or get misted or showered in the sink; is it ok to give him a bath this way every week or I better leave him alone in his scruffiness?

·
Registered
3,743 Posts
he probably doesn't need a weekly bath - maybe monthly you could force him to, if he needs it.
just be careful, since you don't want to give tiels too much of a shock ;)

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Exactly! This is my fear, I don't want to traumatise him. But to be honest he really looked bad, I just stopped noticing. I don't know how to describe it, maybe "disheveled"? sigh. He is not a pretty bird by any standards, but this oily-sticky appearance? It must itch like crazy, no?
I wouldn't entertain the idea of another bath normally, but the fact that he didn't fight me made me think that maybe he agreed that something had to be done... my wishful thinking of course LOL but he was his usual chirpy self afterwards.

·
Registered
955 Posts
I feel your pain zippy is the same he hates water, He gets excited at the sound of running water but that's about it until the other week I put an upside down frisbee on the table put some water in it and put one of his old tail feathers in it and because he can't resist playing with his old feathers he had his first paddle he got his feet and his belly wet , I am hoping gin time he will bathe properly lol .

·
Registered
574 Posts
Grigio will shower with me but for the budgies, I plug up the bathroom sink (sometimes the tub) and just let the water trickle down. Once they hear the water falling, they come flying. They'll fly to the water, flap under it, fly away, fly back, etc.

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
lol histeriauk I too have a frisbee full of water for my babies! It's on their playpen, but only the 2 girls use it, sadly. It's so nice to see them bathing, the way they fuss about always makes me laugh :D
Clair, I tried to lure him to the water in any way I could think of, I even put a water feature on the playpen hoping that the noise would make him interested. No such luck. The fact that he is not completely tame doesn't help, because I can't show him the various water points in the home as I did with the others. They all eventually chose the one they like most.

·
Registered
7,907 Posts
A lot of 'tiels seem to not like being bathed.. only one of mine seems to semi enjoy it.

·
Registered
2,214 Posts
Skiddles is the opposite - for some reason she is obessed with water. You turn the tap on and she runs down your arm to sing to it and take a drink. You turn the tap off she stops singing. LOL!

She likes her showers...most times.

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
That's so cute, singing at the water! Two of my boys perch on my arm and drink, but they are rude and don't sing to it :D

·
Registered
8,164 Posts
Only 2 of my tiels enjoy baths. The other 2 get a bath anyway. You can bathe your birds daily or weekly. Try to bathe more frequently when molting. I don't think you'll traumatize your bird. The point of getting them wet is to soften the pin feathers, clean the feathers, and encourage preening.

·
Registered
1,424 Posts
Rocko used to be the same, but then I discovered the magic of a sink spray attachment... I can plop him in the kitchen sink, spray him with the sprayer, and he's totally fine with it. Maybe try that? He hates water in every other way, except for the sprayer.

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Amz that's such a good idea, I have been dreaming about one of those attachments for myself, didn't think of the fids! George jumps in the sink and I have to sprinkle water on him with my hands, It would be so much easier and probably nicer for him if I had a proper attachment. And definitely it would be another way to try entice Frank to water, since the spray bottle is out of question. You never know what is gonna work until you try it.
I need to investigate the cost of fitting one, or probably I can buy one of the rubber temporary ones? I am off to check on Amazon.

·
Registered
1,526 Posts
Other than the one time, I have never seen my birds get into the pie plate of water I have on top of the cage at all times. They might have used it when I wasn't looking though. Mica doesn't mind being sprayed but Kona will run away. Sometimes I spray him anyway, since he gets all ruffled looking too when he needs a bath.
They don't like the running water in a sink, tried that.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts