Talk Cockatiels Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Things keep getting worse. Frances is just about 8 months old and he has officially begun to act like he is nesting in all of his food bowls. He looks like he is taking a bath in the bowls and he is doing these funny little chirps, not stop. It doesn't matter if I move the bowls, change the bowls, change the bowl size, or if I put it by a perch, below a perch or under it. Is this a mating thing? Should I cover him longer for shorter days?

I'm not sure how males behave with nesting, but my sweet boy is driving me crazy. Help!

·
Registered
2,299 Posts
Definitely sounds like nesting behavior! I'd try covering him longer for shorter days as you were thinking. It should help with the situation :)

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you. Will do. I was thinking it was a nesting behavior, but this sweetie pie is my first cockatiel and my keets never did this so it is new to me. I will def cover him earlier and give him more dark time. Much appreciated.

·
Registered
246 Posts
Is he definitely a he? I've been covering Peppy for longer and longer but she is already showing signs again.

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yes, I do think there is no doubt he is a male. He sings, heart wings, immitates everything he hears and his tail feathers are growing without the bars. But he is sitting in his bowl as if he is sitting on eggs. His face has grown in yellow too. I am covering him longer. I didn't know males did this too.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts