Talk Cockatiels Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have 2 tiel cages, 2 Cockatiels in each cage. I had to seperate Isis from the big cage, because Tayba and Bungie decided to mate. I had to put Isis in with Roelani, knowing roelani hates all other birds, but not to the point of attacking them, just a little 'don't come near me' nip. I am always keeping a close eye on them, but I went downstairs for only a few hours..

In Isis and Roelani's cage, last night, I saw blood! It was all over the perch, and on their swingset. I got soo worried and immediately examined Isis, she showed no signs of any injury, so I looked at Roelani, still nothing. I know this has to be new blood, because I would definately notice blood in Roelani's cage beforehand. There were NO feathers in or around the cage to indicate a broken blood feather.. Niether of them had any blood on them AT ALL, not even their feet. I am so puzzled! Does anyone know what might've happend?

·
Registered
5,602 Posts
It had to come from somewhere- if it wasn't showing anything on either tiels then check the floor for any blood feathers that might have came out. ..

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It had to come from somewhere- if it wasn't showing anything on either tiels then check the floor for any blood feathers that might have came out. ..

Thats what I meant by there were no feathers. Nothing on the ground, I checked them for any loose feathers, nothing.

·
Registered
7,294 Posts
It's possible one of them cut their foot and by the time you saw it the bleeding had stopped and there was no obvious cut because of this. Walking around on it would rub off any excess blood...

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
So you found no blood feathers on the bottom of the cage? Could they be bloody poops?
Nope.. No feathers. Couldn't of been bloody poop, or I would've seen poop with teh blood on the floor, you know?

It's possible one of them cut their foot and by the time you saw it the bleeding had stopped and there was no obvious cut because of this. Walking around on it would rub off any excess blood...
I guess it's possible, but would it really heal that fast? And there'd be a spot of dry blood afterwards, no? Or at least a scab?

·
Registered
5,602 Posts
Could it be that one of them vomitted blood? Maybe swallowed something they shouldn't have or cut the inside of their mouth...I don't know..just throwing ideas out there.

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Could it be that one of them vomitted blood? Maybe swallowed something they shouldn't have or cut the inside of their mouth...I don't know..just throwing ideas out there.
Thats what I first thought.. I REALLY hope it wasn't though. Even so, wouldn't there be at least a bit of blood on their chest/beak? Its just so weird. I felt their crops with morning, and tehy are both eating well, so i am sure that wasn't the case?

·
Registered
5,022 Posts
It had to have come from somewhere on them it must be something your missing or like Bea said maybe they had blood on them and somehow it came off as long as there both ok it might just remain one of those mysteries ;)

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
It had to have come from somewhere on them it must be something your missing or like Bea said maybe they had blood on them and somehow it came off as long as there both ok it might just remain one of those mysteries ;)
Yeah. It's so weird! Lol. I am glad they are okay now though, but I am watching them 100% just incase Roelani did attack Isis.

·
Registered
4,803 Posts
are you sure it's blood?? I had a scare not too long ago thought one of my birds was bleeding, but it ended up bieng thier food, they'd gotten it wet or themselfs wet and then layed in the food dish and the red coloring on the food was on them, and everything they touched had red on it, and on the perch in a couple places looked like blood drops but it wasn't blood at all

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
are you sure it's blood?? I had a scare not too long ago thought one of my birds was bleeding, but it ended up bieng thier food, they'd gotten it wet or themselfs wet and then layed in the food dish and the red coloring on the food was on them, and everything they touched had red on it, and on the perch in a couple places looked like blood drops but it wasn't blood at all

No, it was definatrely blood. I can get pictures of the birds now, as well as the spots in their cage if that would help at all.

And their food is zupreem natural diet, so there's no red in it.

·
Registered
2,591 Posts
Pictures might help, because we may recognise what part of the bird it came from, from the size and shape, of the blood when it landed on the cage. :)

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Alright, I'll go now and take a picture.

PS. Does anyone know how to get blood off of their wood perches? :s

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Here, sorry for the bad quality.

Here is the blood, there's more on one other perch, and some on the bars, which look like it was flung onto them.

And here are the birds:

P.S The cage is bigger then it looks. LOL.

·
Registered
9,464 Posts
Mabey it is not blood? did they have any thing red to eat or get a red toy wet? I heard with lead poisioning they can just poop out blood only :eek:

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Mabey it is not blood? did they have any thing red to eat or get a red toy wet? I heard with lead poisioning they can just poop out blood only :eek:
Nope, they didn't have anything to eat that was red. And I sure hope it wasn't led poisoning. :(

·
Registered
9,464 Posts
Was that fresh when you took the photos? Blood tends to go brown if it sits for a while. So mabey it is not blood. Just keep an eye on them. Iam sure it will work out ok ;)

1 - 20 of 31 Posts