Talk Cockatiels Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
I live in Arizona and last night about 2am I was on my patio and there was a cockatiel perched on my railing. It was a cold night and drizzling rain so I picked it up and brought it into my house. I keep it in a laundry hamper and put a stick through it so it could perch. I happened to have Cockatiel food because I feed wild birds from my patio. So I was able to give it food and water.
Today a friend gave me an old cage and some bird stuff so I could make it more comfortable while I search for it's owner.

I know nothing about birds or how to care for them.

I currently have the cage set up with water and food in my living room, because I read that this type of bird likes to be around people.
If did try and bit at me when I transferred it from the basket to the cage.
The cage is large and the bird has more than enough room to spread out it's wings.

Any advice would be appreciated.
I don't know how long it's been outside but it looks like it's feathers are ruffled up a bit. I live in an apartment complex on a mountain preserve with lots of wild birds and other animals. Do you think a bird like this could survive in the wild of Phoenix Arizona for a very long time?

·
Registered
9,464 Posts
Welcome to the form :) Iam glad you could take the tiel in, I don't think he would of lasted much longer. Are you sure it was cockatiel food you feed him? Wild bird seed is not good for tiels. I would go out and get some cockatiel seed and mabey some millet for a treat for him, if you have not already :) I would call pet stores and humane societies and put up flyers saying you found a cockatiel. Here is a link about cockatiels that can help you care for him well you search for his owners http://www.birdchannel.com/bird-species/find-the-right-bird/pet-cockatiel-faq.aspx Good luck :)

·
Registered
19 Posts
bravo, with all the hawks and falcons in arizona he wouldnt have lasted long, and australian birds dont do well in the american wild, you definately saved his/her life, definately agree with the above post and the advice! although id be reluctant to return a tiel to a complacent owner who lost his/her tiel, though it may be totally innocent, if the bird got free again it could be the end!

Im only a new tiel owner in california (san diego) and am still learning myself, but im already attatched to my little trouble maker and would not like his chances in the open!

im not too sure of your options, as im not experianced, but they grow on you FAST, you may decide not too part with the little fella!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for your advice.

I am positive the food I have is cockatiel food, I got it on sale at Walmart a few weeks ago and it says cockatiel food on it. It was cheaper than the wild bird seed I typically get and I figured the Doves and Quail would enjoy the change. I got cockatiel treats at petsmart yesterday also. The bird is really friendly and doing much better than his first day. He/She is doing a lot of eating and drinking. How do I tell if the bird is male or female? Should I allow it to eat constantly or should I just give it a little bit of food each day? Right now I just have a bowl full of seed in his cage. Is there a way to estimate it's age?

I like the bird and have no problem keeping it if I can't find the owner.
I've never owned a bird before and just want to make sure I am not doing anything that is unhealthy for it. It doesn't make that much noise and seems to just like to watch TV with the family. In fact the only time it really makes any noise is when one of us leaves the room.

I have been doing a lot of reading online and I think I have the bird situated correctly. It seems happy so I feel like I did the right thing. I was kind of wondering if it had been out in the wild for a long time and made it's home in the desert. I guess that seems kind of silly now. There are lots of coyotes and hawks around here.

I plan on getting some fliers made up today and place them around the complex. I do not live in an area that has a lot of houses around so if it doesn't belong to someone that lives in the complex then it came from a distance away and I doubt I will be able to find the owner. If I do find the owner I think I will go out and get one of my own. The family really seems to enjoy having the little guy around.

Thanks again for your help.

·
Registered
1,088 Posts
Awwww that's so cool to hear. They find a place in your heart pretty quick. Soooo loveable.

Hope the little guy/girl find its home... if not i`m happy to know it has a home already :)

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Great News I found the owner.

A young family a few units owner lost the bird a month ago. Our kids play together and my son asked them today if they lost a bird. Sure enough it belongs to them. It had gotten out while they were cleaning the house and had the back door open.
It is a 5 yr old female and it's mate was really missing her.
The family was very grateful to have her back and had lost all hope in getting her back.

Hard to believe she was out in the wild for over a month. I guess that explains why she was so hungry and thirsty.

We are going to start looking around for a bird of our own now.

Thanks to everyone that commented.

·
Registered
1,088 Posts
Awesome to hear!

Now you can all be excited about buying your own bird.

Highly reccomend getting a friendly handreared one. Much more fun when you can interact with them and cuddle them.

·
Registered
625 Posts
Thats fantastic news :) I bet the owners children were very happy to have her back.

Getting a new bird is very exciting. I wish you all the best with your searching. Feel free to ask any questions you like- you know where we are!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts