Talk Cockatiels Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We have two cockatiels, one dove and one parakeet. I recently built them a playgym made from pvc pipe because the store bought one we had before was getting a little crowded and buying a bigger one would have been too expensive. I am now in the process of filling it with toys and such to encourage activity.
I've been reading about foraging toys and would really like to try them. However, never in their birdie lives have they come across anything like them. They're used to being fed on silver platters like the royalty they are (haha).
Anyway, I was wondering if anyone has had a similar experience with their middle aged birds, simple foraging toys to start them off or how you encouraged them towards the unfamiliar.
Now the parakeet is quite young, a little over 4 months so it shouldn't be too difficult with her but I know her toys should be slightly different so anything for parakeets would be greatly appreciated as well.
Suggestions?
Your own experience?
Tutorials?
Example pictures?
I would really prefer DIY toys but if you know of any cheap simple store bought kind that worked for you please share.

photo 1.jpg

P.S the playgym in the picture is the old one

·
Registered
13,610 Posts
some really easy beginner foraging toys i have used very well are these:

and these are all DIY :D

any wood is bird safe only, so be sure to check that first

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
some really easy beginner foraging toys i have used very well are these:

and these are all DIY :D

any wood is bird safe only, so be sure to check that first
I recently tried the first one with a Dixie cup and I couldn't get either of the cockatiels to go near it. They're not shredders either. They both like the millet spray and maybe the plastic net will work but I don't know if it's because I waited too long to introduce it or they're just lazy but I can't seem to get them interested. I went to a craft store and loaded up on bright colored plastic chaines and jute twine and beads and random little things I've made small toys out of but to no avail.

·
Registered
13,610 Posts
try using things they recognize as food and treats first, and ONLY put those things in the toys for the first while, just until they get the hang of it. then add in toys and such as they go along.

·
Registered
7,907 Posts
MeanneyFids you are the master of toys! :D

·
Registered
13,610 Posts

·
Registered
1,526 Posts
I'm so impressed that you have a photo of all your birds sitting nicely together :)

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
I'm so impressed that you have a photo of all your birds sitting nicely together :)
Funny that you bring that up haha
Immediately after the photo was taken one of the cockatiels became aware his space was being invaded and pecked at the other to his left, he caused a commotion with his wings and scared the parakeet off the bar and sent her running and the dove decided she was too old for their shennanigans and gracefully flew to a perch near the ceiling
Needless to say, I clicked the shutter just in time

·
Registered
2,214 Posts
Might have to steal these ideas.

Skiddles isn't a forager or a shredder. I like the bucket. :)

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
foraging

A very simple foraging trick you can use is plain white paper towels. I put treats, then a few strips of paper towel in a drum-type treat holder. Bennie has to pull the strips of paper out before he can get the treat. Or wrap a bit of millet spray in a piece of paper towel.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Was just about to post asking for foraging toys recommendations! This thread has been so helpful. Thanks to everyone for their awesome ideas!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts