Talk Cockatiels Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Banned
2,058 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Seriously I feel terrible watching Rocko and Loki eating seeds every single day I try and try to get them to eat veggies but they just wont touch them :( is there anything else I can try or feed to fill their diet this would be easier with a bigger bird like Tiko because they would just eat anything u hand them.I want Rocko and Loki to live long and be with me when im a Adult.I also sprinkle a bit of cuttle bone over their seed sometimes.Loki did try a bit of broccoli so I think ill continue giving him that.What veg is a cockatiel favourite.Also because I didnt use the grapefruit seed extract my sprouts when all mouldy with grey hair stuff all over them yuck.

·
Banned
2,058 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
Can they eat green and red pepper? (Its red and green peppers from a Double pepperoni pizza the brand is Green isle I dont eat the peppers so while the pizza was frozen I took them off and put them on a plate and into the fridge and I was thinking can the birds eat them.

·
Registered
786 Posts
Unless the veggies are fresh or frozen they usually have too much salt on them- especially like on a pizza. When you give them broccoli try hanging it in their cage somewhere so that its like foraging. Same with stuff like kale or other leafy greens. I shred some of the veggies like zucchini or carrots and they like that. Sometimes you have to have them nearby and pretend like you are eating them and make sounds like "mmm good" or "ooh yummy". They will get curious and sometimes come try them. A favorite of mine is corn (frozen+ thawed under running water) and frozen peas. Mine also like frozen and fresh spinach. You just have to try lots of things and keep trying, don't just give up because they don't eat something right away. And yes, they can eat fresh red, green and chili peppers, like jalapenos or anahiem peppers.

·
Premium Member
6,217 Posts
Have you just tried shredding the top of broccoli onto their seeds with nothing else? It looks like tiny seeds and curiosity should take over since it looks like a favorite familiar food. I've gotten all my seed junkies to eat this way

·
Banned
2,058 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Have you just tried shredding the top of broccoli onto their seeds with nothing else? It looks like tiny seeds and curiosity should take over since it looks like a favorite familiar food. I've gotten all my seed junkies to eat this way
Good idea ill try that.

·
Banned
2,058 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Unless the veggies are fresh or frozen they usually have too much salt on them- especially like on a pizza. When you give them broccoli try hanging it in their cage somewhere so that its like foraging. Same with stuff like kale or other leafy greens. I shred some of the veggies like zucchini or carrots and they like that. Sometimes you have to have them nearby and pretend like you are eating them and make sounds like "mmm good" or "ooh yummy". They will get curious and sometimes come try them. A favorite of mine is corn (frozen+ thawed under running water) and frozen peas. Mine also like frozen and fresh spinach. You just have to try lots of things and keep trying, don't just give up because they don't eat something right away. And yes, they can eat fresh red, green and chili peppers, like jalapenos or anahiem peppers.
I tried eating it myself they didnt care I hung it in the cage the last time and Loki had a few nibbles.

·
Registered
7,907 Posts
My 'tiels love rainbow silverbeet. I think it's called chard overseas. It grows really well in my garden so that's a huge plus. Kale is similar, and packed full of goodness too. I tried Calitiel's broccoli shaving method with my guys and it worked a charm. Shredded carrot is also a big hit here. At first, they were reluctant to eat vegetables but you just have to persevere and soon enough they should understand that they're not scary, they're actually tasty! :p

·
Registered
2,384 Posts
I do the broccoli shaving too. I also finely chop carrots and kale and sprinkle them on the top of the seed/pellet mix. He eats them like a pro. He will nibble at kale hanging in the cage, but not eat a lot, and is finally, occasionally, eating from broccoli hanging from the side of the cage. He still spends more time talking to broccoli than eating it, but I suppose nibbles are a step in the right direction.

Repetition is key. There are veggies they will never eat, and some they take to right away. Then there is the middle ground where it might take a few or lots of tries before they take the risk.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I have a special treat dish for Cali. He is so used to getting really tasty things in there so when I mix in some veggies he's not fond of and put his treat dish in, he runs over excited and doesn't realize the veggies he's eating!
Maybe try something like that?

·
Banned
2,058 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I have a special treat dish for Cali. He is so used to getting really tasty things in there so when I mix in some veggies he's not fond of and put his treat dish in, he runs over excited and doesn't realize the veggies he's eating!
Maybe try something like that?
This thread is way old lol they love veggies now.

·
Registered
1,225 Posts
My tiel actually likes broccoli (and no other veggies)...

1 - 13 of 13 Posts