Talk Cockatiels Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey, we've got a 6 week old cockatiel we bought 3 days ago. We were told it can eat on its own but it doesn't eat unless we feed it seeds off our hands, and it doesn't drink water on it's own. I haven't hand feed a bird, I know it can hurt the bird so I don't feel comfortable doing it unless it's really necessary.. It does eat the seeds just not on it's own. The bird isn't crying, it just doesn't want to be in it's cage, it always wants to cuddle or be on some one. Is it fine for it to eat the seeds and pellets or does it still need formula at this age. I'd appreciate any help. Thanks!

·
Registered
13,610 Posts
6 weeks old, he should be still being fed! the person lied to you saying it can eat on its own. tiels are not old enough to be weaned until at LEAST 8 weeks old, preferably 10 weeks... this bird should still be on formula. i would look up a breeder in your area and ask to be shown how to handfeed.

·
Registered
1,949 Posts
Welcome to the forum :)
Will the breeder take it back for a couple of weeks and hand feed it for you? most breeders will (or should) offer to do this if their babies regress (but really they shouldn't sell them at 6 weeks).
If it's not eating on it's own unless you are feeding it seeds then it will probably be starving. As DallyTsuka said, you can look up a breeder who may be kind enough to show you how or take the baby for a couple more weeks or even an avian vet who can make sure it's healthy (you should take it in for a check-up anyway) and show you how to hand feed (and recommend formula and how to mix it).
Ideally you want someone who knows what they're doing, but at the end of the day you need to make sure your bub's properly fed.

There are some really helpful members on here that can help you with handfeeding but if you can get someone to actually show you or offer to take the baby until it's properly weaned then I recommend that as your first option.

Poor baby! I bet it's real cute, wanting to cuddle you gotta love them when they're that young... but the poor thing is probably pretty hungry. Best of luck with your new bub.

·
Registered
10,912 Posts
If you can teach the baby to eat handfeeding formula from a spoon or even directly off the palm of your hand, that's safer and easier than using a syringe - the baby is in complete control of how much food it's taking in so there's no danger of aspiration. You'll still have to be careful about the temperature of course. You'll want the consistency to be thick enough that the mixture can "pile up" on the spoon - it's easier for the chick to eat from a soft mound than from something that's lying flat in the spoon. At the same time you want it to be fairly moist, to keep the baby hydrated and also to make it easier to eat.

·
Registered
1,225 Posts
I am not a breeder, so I am not sure, but when I bought mine he was 10 weeks old and he was the first of the batch (according to the breeder) who started eating on his own...
I think the baby still needs to be hand-fed...
Good luck!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts