Talk Cockatiels Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
With all the space and perchinq options in Oli's cage, he has decided to take comfort in his food bowl :p

I know the bowls are big and more suited for larger parrots, but he has no trouble reaching in to eat/drink from, I just wish he wouldnt perch on them with his rear facing his food! Im worried he's gonna poop in his food :(

Any suggestions to how i could prevent this? Any toys/obstacles that might prevent perching without impairing his ability to eat?

·
Registered
786 Posts
I have two bowls that are the same, one for food, one for water. What I have done is put a grapevine perch that is about 4" long, directly between the two dishes. My boy Milo seems to love the arrangement, and he can't poop in the food/water ;)

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have two bowls that are the same, one for food, one for water. What I have done is put a grapevine perch that is about 4" long, directly between the two dishes. My boy Milo seems to love the arrangement, and he can't poop in the food/water ;)
Thanks for the tip! Im gonna visit the pet store tomorrow and buy a selection of new perches for him and try to re-arrange his cage :)

·
Registered
761 Posts
Aw cute! There might be something about where the bowl is that makes him want to perch there. I'm sure a creative re-arrange will do the trick!

·
Registered
648 Posts
You'll need a perch that's near the bowl, but higher up than the bowl. That will help, since they like to be up high and having a perch just over his head when he's on the bowl will (hopefully) prompt him to move up to it.
However I have found they sit on their bowl when nervous, like when first bought to a new home. They hang out with their food like it's a security blanket or something. Not saying that is what he's doing but it's possible.
Also make sure he's not seeing it as a nest. I know, weird, but I've had this problem before. They were more sitting IN the bowl and getting protective of it so it was a bit different but still worth mentioning.

·
Registered
228 Posts
That is something new to me. Francis has one metal/reflective food bowl and today he was sitting inside of it like he was on a nest. I thought it was strange since he is boy. Maybe I should take that bowl out. It is the only one he does it with. And it's the only pefectly round one. He does perch on the others but not so he poops in them.

·
Registered
7,907 Posts
I have similar bowls, and my 'tiels like to sit on/in theirs too. Sophie and Coco especially like to "nest" in them. And Sophie stimulates herself inside the bowl and starts repeatedly clucking like a hormonal chicken. :eek: I'm not sure how to discourage this behaviour, other than removing the bowls, but they're the only kind of food bowls that work with my cage (they hook or screw onto the bars of the cage). :confused:

·
Registered
507 Posts
Mine do it too... they are like little nests!

I put a platform perch above mine, only a few inches, so they can fit their heads in to eat/drink but not their butts :lol:

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I managed to get him to stop perching on his food bowl by simple raising the perch that he was using to eat from. It basically means he's not tempted to 'step-up' onto the food bowl anymore because.. well.. he can't :p

·
Registered
228 Posts
okay...today Francis is in his bowl all day! He is a male and he is sitting in it and making funny little tweets in it. I don't need to use this bowl, should I just take it out? It is a new bowl just for treats anyway.

·
Registered
648 Posts
Yes absolutely take it out if it's not necessary, and change the bowl if it is. To the person who said they had girls, it would be even more important to take it out for you as they will probably start laying and that can lead to issues. Can you not get the kind of bowls that hook on the sides? Smaller, rectangular ones or something?

·
Registered
228 Posts
I took his bowl out today. I put my hand in the cage to nudge him out of the bowl and he got nippie so I took it out when was eating at a different bowl. He won't sit in the plastic cups. He stands on them, but this was way different with the round metal bowl...he was peeping while he sat in it too. It's gone now.

·
Registered
7,907 Posts
I'm definitely going to try the perch thing. And look around for some different bowls. Today I hung a seed bell above Coco's favourite bowl and so far it's worked as a distraction. :)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts