Talk Cockatiels Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I posted this a while ago

https://www.talkcockatiels.com/showthread.php?t=160282

where I had acquired a tame hand raised baby and when I got him home he started biting and would not stop. It was really disappointing because he was not nice to be around, I felt like re-homing him.

Well after spending a lot of time with him he is no longer completely obsessed with biting. When I first got him, having him on my fingers or shoulders he would be constantly trying to bite and chew body parts which was painful because he wasn't just nibbling he was biting hard. Now I get him out and he will sit on my shoulder and not bite. But hands are still a trigger for him, he is generally good but will occasionally go into a rage and try and bite down on my hand as hard as he can.

It's a huge improvement, he leaves my ears and nose alone but still bites my hands sometimes but a lot less. Just thought I would leave this here in case some else has a similar problem with biting, for him the problem died down a lot. I didn't really do any training in particular, because no one replied to my first post I didn't have any ideas how to train him. All I did was keep getting him out all the time and spending time with him.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Not all cockatiels are friendly even though they've been hand raised.You see, they're just like us people. Each of them have their own personality and some are more friendly than others. Some can be afraid especially when they change to a new environment, home and a new owner. And I know because it happened to me when I adopted a hand reared and 'tame' boy. Well, it wasn't tame or sweet with me at all. When I took him out for the first time he flew away from me scared, landed on the floor again and again, and hissed at me. It takes time and patience and if he's afraid of hands, don't force him. Sit near him every day and talk softly to him so he gets used to you. Offer some millet though the cage bars. Don't force him and take baby steps, he'll eventually warm up to you. My Travis did. 🙂

1 - 2 of 2 Posts