Talk Cockatiels Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can I substitute some of the perches with the floors in this Jenny cage? That is not my tiel cage, but I have those floors and I was wondering if I could put them in the cage? My bird doesn't fly, even though he isn't clipped. I think it would enable him to use more of the space in the cage. Also it would be easier for him to play with toys. His cage have a roof instead of bars so I cant hang them from there. But maybe I could hang perches at a good height above the floors and hang toys from them?

I suspect there is a reason to why I have never seen a bird cage with floors like rodent cages have, so I would appreciate views on this idea before I go for it.

Edit: Oh, and the cage is 1,6 meters tall. I guess that's useful information.

·
Registered
786 Posts
I am not sure they would work for your tiel. I think getting him some tiel toys and putting them on the floor would be better. There are small toys called foot toys- see them here: http://pet-supplies.drsfostersmith....torID=&cartcount=0&wishcount=0&division=birds
that you could put on the floor for him to play with so he doesn't have to climb, or like you said, hang toys from perches.
Can he stand on a perch at all? Do you have his food and water near the floor too?
I think the floors in the rat cage would be too slippery for him to use..

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yes he can stand on a perch. He has perches in three heights. He climbs up and down all day to use them. They are made of different material and he uses one for sleeping on, one to sit on to get close to us when we're in the room and the rest he just climbs random to and fro. I just figured the floors could be a good way to give him more space, since he doesn't fly. He enjoys waking around on the bottom of the cage.

I have some toys for him on the bottom floor and both his water and food bowl. He doesn't want to eat from up high, so he just makes a mess if I hang his food bowl higher, because he pushes his food out of the bowl, then climbs down again to eat it. I want the water to be at the top of the cage, but I need a new bowl first. The one he has now is impossible to hang on the bars without half of the water spilling in the process.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts