Talk Cockatiels Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Banned
2,058 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was actually excited that my flightsuit arrived but now im disappointed that im probably gonna have to ship it back which I dont wanna do because I wanna just have it now but its a little big on Rocko that sometimes he cant perch because his leg goes inside the diaper but if I pull the straps back it fits is there anything I can do to hold the straps together or make it fit.I was thinking wear it over the harness maybe.Also he didnt eat much veg this morning I honestly thought size medium would fit him because its for cockatiels.Ill post a picture of the Flightsuit later.

·
Banned
2,058 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Oh on the instructions it saids if its slightly too big to put a ribbon under the straps and tie it in a bow.Any ideas how I might do that.

·
Registered
1,520 Posts
Oh on the instructions it saids if its slightly too big to put a ribbon under the straps and tie it in a bow.Any ideas how I might do that.
Yeah I first got Sunny a medium too but it was also too big so in the end I had to get a small. Some tiels are bigger than others and sometimes you really don't know until you put it on your tiel.

Re. the ribbon, I think what they mean is to take a ribbon or string and tie the 2 elastic straps together at the top so it fits a bit tighter, but that only works if the flightsuit is SLIGHTLY too big for your tiel. If your bird is stepping all over the flightsuit then it is definitely way too big and I don't think tying the straps together will be enough. If you want to try that, I would suggest putting it on your bird first, and then tie the straps together. But if your bird can still pull its feet into the suit then it is still too big. :)

·
Banned
2,058 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yeah I first got Sunny a medium too but it was also too big so in the end I had to get a small. Some tiels are bigger than others and sometimes you really don't know until you put it on your tiel.

Re. the ribbon, I think what they mean is to take a ribbon or string and tie the 2 elastic straps together at the top so it fits a bit tighter, but that only works if the flightsuit is SLIGHTLY too big for your tiel. If your bird is stepping all over the flightsuit then it is definitely way too big and I don't think tying the straps together will be enough. If you want to try that, I would suggest putting it on your bird first, and then tie the straps together. But if your bird can still pull its feet into the suit then it is still too big. :)
Its slightly big only one of his feet goes in my mam is gonna stitch it.

·
Registered
1,520 Posts
I was also planning on making the medium flightsuit smaller at one point by sewing a stitch down the middle to take it in but in the end I just could not trust my sewing skills so I decided not to mess with it. :blush: Make sure your mom stitches it really well so that it does not come loose because you don't want the stitches coming off when you are outside with your bird and you end up watching your bird fly away!!! :cry: Make sure you check the stitching every time to make sure it is not coming loose. :)

·
Banned
2,058 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I was also planning on making the medium flightsuit smaller at one point by sewing a stitch down the middle to take it in but in the end I just could not trust my sewing skills so I decided not to mess with it. :blush: Make sure your mom stitches it really well so that it does not come loose because you don't want the stitches coming off when you are outside with your bird and you end up watching your bird fly away!!! :cry: Make sure you check the stitching every time to make sure it is not coming loose. :)
She stitched it very well do you know where the straps attach to the diaper she doubled that to make the straps shorter and now it fits yay.If it did come loose he wouldnt be able to remove the diaper also im gonna have the aviator harness on under the flightsuit extra safety :)

·
Banned
2,058 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

My mam stitched it very well and now it fits him.(The picture of Rocko wearing it was before it got stitched see how it didnt fit well.

·
Registered
228 Posts
That is great that you got it to fit. We have one for my dove that my daughter gave up on because it was too big, but this idea is great!

·
Banned
2,058 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
That is great that you got it to fit. We have one for my dove that my daughter gave up on because it was too big, but this idea is great!
Im happy I didnt have to ship it back.It only took 6 days to get to Ireland it was supposed to take 6-8 weeks fast shipping.Also the day before I was just talking saying I cant wait for it to come and it came.Im gonna let Rocko get used to it first just letting him near it I dont wanna just force it on him but I just had to make sure it fit.Loki was actually my Mannequin I guess u can call it that lol when my mam stitched it I put it on Loki and it fit so it will fit Rocko and ill post pictures once hes wearing it.

·
Registered
228 Posts
Do you think that a small size would have fit your birds or do you think the medium is perfect with just a stitch or two to make it smaller? Just curious how much wiggle room the medium had.

·
Banned
2,058 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Do you think that a small size would have fit your birds or do you think the medium is perfect with just a stitch or two to make it smaller? Just curious how much wiggle room the medium had.
I will be getting the size small for Loki the medium had a huge amount of room his leg would go inside the diaper and he fell off my hand now that its stitched It will fit.

·
Registered
228 Posts
I think that is good, the one we had on our dove was quite a bit too big, but we didn't think of stitching it. Archimedes (our dove) kept getting his feet caught in the suit. For Francis I may try a small. Rocko is a pretty good sport with his.

·
Registered
178 Posts
This is a great idea! I have a flight suit I got Coyote a while back that I gave up on because he was also getting his feet stuck inside of it and so on. I may try this stitching trick and give it another go.

I must add that your bird looks very dapper in his flight suit!

·
Banned
2,058 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
This is a great idea! I have a flight suit I got Coyote a while back that I gave up on because he was also getting his feet stuck inside of it and so on. I may try this stitching trick and give it another go.

I must add that your bird looks very dapper in his flight suit!
Thanks my mam just made the straps shorter and it fits great its basically the size small now lol.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts