Talk Cockatiels Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
at some point when the whether is warmer i think it would be a good idea to take my tiel outside with me for some sun...i live in canada and our sunny days are very limited, so why not make the most of them right? and if i get one soon then i can start getting him comfortable with it so by the time it's actually warm enough he'll probably be fine with it.

my tiel's wings are clipped. some people will say that's not the best idea, i know, and as long as you keep windows and doors closed he would be fine. but that's the problem--only the upstairs leave with the bedrooms have doors between the rooms, and he's able to fly wherever he wants and land on a stove and we would have no way of stopping him. it's just too dangerous.... (the vet did a very good job with his wings though. she shows me where his blood feathers are and he's still able to glide across the floor so he doesnt fall like a rock with his clumsy young feet.)

but either way, a harness would definitely be safer. he's already very very comfortable on my hand and shoulder and rarely ever gets fussy and tries to jump off. he may walk across my back to switch shoulders but that's all. he loves me.

i've heard good things about the feather tether. i've also heard good things about the avian harness but that one's a bit out of my budget :/ anyone used the feather tether before?

·
Registered
2,361 Posts
I've heard a lot of negative things about the Feather Tether actually. Too many clips, bulky, birds have escaped from them, birds getting their feet up in it and choking or nearly strangling themselves, etc.

I plan on buying an Aviator Harness soon. Several TC members use them and the company claims them to be the safest on the market. I've never heard of a bird escaping from one.

At the moment, I have flightsuits (aka bird diapers) made by Avian Fashions, and LOVE them. They've been fantastic for outdoor adventures, walks, shopping adventures, etc. But I'm getting an Aviator as well for the purpose of outdoor flight time. The Aviator has a leash on it that allows for safe, comfortable flight, while the flightsuit's lead does not - it's more for keeping your bird close.

With any harness, your bird will need to be given time, patience, and training to learn to accept it and that they mean awesome things like being able to go outside. :) If your bird enjoys or allows full body handling, you've got a good start! :)

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i was looking at flight suits too, yeah, they seemed like a good idea for the sake of them being diapers too.... i feel like my miso would not like all of the fabric though, which is why i was looking at the harness more...

but he is very good at letting me handle him, so i feel like i could get him used to anything really. he doesn't like me touching his wings and his tummy depends on the day. but he loves cuddles and lets me sit him on my chest with my hand cupping around him (he really seems to enjoy it, which surprised me...)
he lets me put stuff on him sometimes though. lttle things like hair ties or once i made him a paper hat....

i will look more into the flightsuit, maybe they are a better option...~

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Whoa okay I checked the avian fashions website's size chart--what's the difference between an Australian cockatiel and a cockatiel?

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
I would NEVER put a feather tether on my bird, ever. The reviews are dire and my bird is worth a quality product that won't try to kill him. It's the harness all the way.

·
Registered
2,299 Posts
Whoa okay I checked the avian fashions website's size chart--what's the difference between an Australian cockatiel and a cockatiel?
I'm suspecting one is larger than the other, though for the life of me I can't figure out which.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
yeah, ive stopped considering feather tether all together... im going to try a flight suit i think,since they dont involve buckles or straps and they're all soft.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts