Talk Cockatiels Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've had my cockatiel Tiki for almost a year now. He was given to us full grown so we're not really sure how old he is, though I'm guessing around 3. In the entire year we've had him he has molted once and is currently going through a second molting. We've never clipped his flight feathers yet they are nonexistent, so much that he's adapted to climbing and walking his way around his cage and play area. His flight feathers just don't seem to grow. I've read about french molt but I don't really think it applies or at least I really hope not. Does any one have any ideas? Has anyone experienced this with their cockatiels as well?

·
Registered
414 Posts
My Sammy has no flight feathers on one side, his left side. Everyone thinks I clipped them but I haven't. He was molting when I got him and no flight feathers came in. I've wondered why for a months now.

·
Registered
13,610 Posts
can you post a close up photo of the feathers please? :) it would help us help you out better. has he had a vet check up recently?

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I hope those photos help a bit. I know they're blurry. He wasn't very happy and I felt awful.
No I haven't taken him to the vet yet. I wanted to see if there was anything obvious I was missing somehow.

·
Registered
5,635 Posts
Could your tiel be older than 3? My tiel is missing his primary flight feathers on his one wing- he's 16. And I believe engima's Sunny who is older also is also missing feathers. I've guessed that it might be age related but that's I guess. I asked my vet about it and he didn't have an answer. It was also suggested that maybe he had injured the follicles during a night fright, etc. and they didn't grow back but my tiel is rehomed and he didn't have the flight feathers when we got him. So I don't know if that happened or not. I tend to think it's more age-related, for my tiel at least.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
It looks to me like he has flight feathers but they're much shorter than usual. My guess would be a genetic abnormality.
Yes
I believe he has his secondary flight feather but not the primary.
These however are of no use.
He plops down anytime he's forced to attempt flight.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Could your tiel be older than 3? My tiel is missing his primary flight feathers on his one wing- he's 16. And I believe engima's Sunny who is older also is also missing feathers. I've guessed that it might be age related but that's I guess. I asked my vet about it and he didn't have an answer. It was also suggested that maybe he had injured the follicles during a night fright, etc. and they didn't grow back but my tiel is rehomed and he didn't have the flight feathers when we got him. So I don't know if that happened or not. I tend to think it's more age-related, for my tiel at least.
Tiki was rehomed as well.
At what age did you receive your cockatiel?
I'm trying to investigate Tiki's approximate age age but I believe he's fairly young.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts