Talk Cockatiels Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
799 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
GIRL!!!

Well Flicky has just finished molting and it has just been noticed that Flicky has pearl markings and they are here after the malt :p:p:p!! so in the last few day i have found out Flicky is a girl and a lutino pearl lol !!! :p

·
Registered
799 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
They are getting more noticeable know the pearl markings they are hard to see though because there is very little difference color tone between the lutino yellow and the slightly orange pearl markings!

·
Registered
799 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I've got a question does anyone else have a pearl Lutino pearl and if they do how noticeable are the pearl markings...?

·
Registered
581 Posts
thats nice that Flicky still has pearling, unfortunately you cant garruntee that she is a girl just from that though... some male tiels keep their pearling up to their 5th or 6th moult... my friend has a tiel dna'd male and he still has pearl markings at just over 3 years old!
check the underside of her tail feathers... is there any barring?
sorry i dont want to burst your bubble, but it would suck if you were sure of one sex, and it turned out to be the other
im not saying she isnt a girl, just not to completely rule out male till you know for sure ;)

·
Registered
4,803 Posts
I don't know about the Lutino Pearls, but its hard to see any barrings on lutino's I have 2 and you have to have extreamly bright light and then its still hard to see

but if i remember right he said flicky just recieved these pearls after her molt

·
Registered
581 Posts
I don't know about the Lutino Pearls, but its hard to see any barrings on lutino's I have 2 and you have to have extreamly bright light and then its still hard to see

but if i remember right he said flicky just recieved these pearls after her molt
lol its not possible for a tiel to suddenly have a pattern appear...
they are born with the genetic info, which is shown from the first feathers it is possible however that the pearling became clearer to see...

it is incredibly hard to see barring on a lutino, and some wont even have any markings at all!
but if you can see bars or speckles, you have a way of telling...

·
Registered
799 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I think the markings just become more prominent after the first malt and are only more noticeable when you intend to see them which i never did! but s/he does show signs of being female and has hissed at Nagano when Nagano was trying to tell him/her of, s/he cant whistle or talk and he is very acrobatic like a female so... i think he might be a she!

·
Registered
4,803 Posts
i take the male / female statics with a grain of salt. my females make more noise then my males most of the time

my males hiss (when we got the tiels from the so called rescue back in November they all hissed at us its something they do when they're scared/ frightened or just plain out don't want to be bothered.)

i even have some very noisy females right now, who i don't know if they're trying to whistle or just chirping oddly but i keep getting told they're females
one is a pearl pied one is a pied and one is a Cinnamon pied She doesn't do it as much as the other 2, but the pearl pied (star) gets really loud when i walk in or out of the bird room, i got her on video the other night but haven't watched it yet to see if you can hear her over my budgies LOL

·
Registered
5,022 Posts
Females can make noise and some like my Minnie learn to wolf whistle but its not the norm and they don't do it like a male would, some of the male/female behaviors can be taken with a grain of salt but for the most part they are true, I think if you add all the factors with Flicky its safe to say she is a female, most males at this age would be whistling, singing, chattering, beak banging, heart wings etc etc..... maybe not all of them but I have yet to see a male not display any of them :p I am not saying there is none out there I think atvchick said her's don't do a majority of the typical male stuff, but thats rare.

·
Registered
799 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Well flicky does little of male stuff lots of the female stuff and has pearl markings after his first molt so i guess its safe to say that he is 100% a girl! i would get him D.N.A tested but its not worth the money i think if i asked flicky if she wanted a D.N.A test or a new toy I' no what she would choose :rofl: but i can bet anyone a million pounds i make a mistake and call her a he in one of my next posts!! lol!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts