Talk Cockatiels Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys,
My male `tiel is <3years old & hen's 2.5yrs old. They have been mating for over a year, but we added a nestbox only recently.

It's a packing box, big enough for both to sit together in it. We've placed it in the top inside-corner of their cage, as we didn't want to cut the cage & hang it outside. They've taken to it well, and have been working at the box, making it bigger & even chewing out one complete side of the box. They've been spending all-day inside nibbling & shredding. The male has been singing a lot ever since & very aggressive at hands, if we get near while changing feed etc.

Our question is "Is it really a nesting behavior, (from your experience) or just playtime?". If it's nesting, how long from now can I expect an egg, if all goes well? I've a cuttlebone but the female rarely bites it, and I've heard of feeding eggfood - but my birds have rejected it earlier. Do you have any suggestions to concoct a good eggfood to even the pickiest bird?

·
Registered
885 Posts
Sounds like nesting behaviour to me :) When mine are preparing for a clutch, they will spend a considerable amount of time "remodeling" the nestbox. It usually takes mine a couple of weeks before the hen starts laying.

I don't feed mine eggfood or anything like that, they just get a range of seeds, pellets, fruits and veggies :)

·
Registered
414 Posts
I feed an egg food to my finches and my tiels. I take 6 hard boiled eggs and process them shells and all. Then I add .5 cup of meal worms and blood worms, .5 cup of Zupreme fruit pellots, a few table spoons of bee pollen, and then I mix in dry, store bought egg food (Higgins brand) to dry it up. My birds love it. You can add a spray of millet too they love that as well.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Update

The box has been shredded inside out, within a week, with a big hole on the floor too. LOL.

Now, where are they gonna lay their eggs? I'm sure they found it as a plaything, while it lasted. Next time, I might have to use a wooden box, so that they dont chew through it.

·
Registered
885 Posts
I recommend buying (or building) a wood nest box for them. Most pet stores sell them and there's where I get mine from. They can pick and pull and 'remodel' it to their hearts content and it will remain a suitable place to nest.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Day 10

Last week I had reinforced the box with a wooden-floor. It's day10 now, and both are spending lots of time in the box, sitting/sleeping inside for long periods.
But no eggs yet.
Is this normal?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts