Talk Cockatiels Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone
I just added a new family member. His name is Monty and he is 4 months. He has settled in nicely. He steps up and rides around on my shoulder all day. Today I took him to the vet for the first time and he has been very quiet and mellow since. He did have his nails trimmed.
He didn't like that. Would this be a normal behavior?
Also, the vet suggested I purchase a UV light and have it on Monty 30 minutes a day. Does anyone know where I can get one? Thanks in advance for any guidance.

·
Banned
56 Posts
This is what I bought for my babies to use;

Arcadia Mini UVB Kit - 8W 400lm - 340 x 40 x 30mm - Includes 2.4% UVB Lamp

I got it from Amazon and bought 2 but I'm in England, U.K. Each 1 comes with a 1.5m lead that plugs into the mains socket & an extension lead which is about 3m long & that's normally used to connect another light which is what I've done, but the other extension has been connected to the mains lead to make that nearly 5m long, which allows me to reach a plug socket as my cage is custom built and fixed to the wall. They light up the cage enough to give the birds what they need but as they are only 8W, they also allow for areas to be in shadows in case they want to be away from it. I have mine on all day & night for them until they settle to sleep & then I turn them off. They love to bask right in front of them at times & other times they move to a perch further back in the cage, but they have the choice now. Hope that helps with the lights, as for the vets, mine haven't been yet so I don't know what's normal or not. I do know that many pets don't like vets though, just like humans don't like dentists. It could be that he hasn't had his nailed trimmed before so that along with going to a vet has unsettled him. Hopefully he gets back to normal after you give him more TLC.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you very much for the information you shared, I greatly appreciate it. I will look into the lighting you described. I agree with your description of going to the vet similar to a dentist visit. Monty is much more mobile and he is bouncing back to his normal self. Thank you again 😀

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.