Talk Cockatiels Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm getting a young tiel and I've never had one before. What should I look for in regards to health wise. He looks healthy to me...active and bright. The only thing that concerned me was a brown spot on his beak. Is that normal?

·
Registered
7,294 Posts
It's hard to know what the brown spot might be with out seeing it. Things to look for in a healthy baby is clean, smooth feathers, eyes, nose and bottom free from dirt or discharge and an overall active and happy baby. :D

·
Registered
5,602 Posts
Bea pretty much answered it for you. As far as the spot on their beak that you mentioned, it's normal for baby tiels to develop black beaks until they get a bit older. It goes away ussually by the time they're weaned or a litte after.
I am pretty sure that's what you're seeing but seeing a pic will help confirm it.

·
Registered
7,294 Posts
As far as the spot on their beak that you mentioned, it's normal for baby tiels to develop black beaks until they get a bit older. It goes away ussually by the time they're weaned or a litte after.
That was my first thought, but Cookie was the opposite, she had an orange beak that went dark over time. Bailee has always had a pale beak, and so has Gracie (going by pictures) - so i wasn't sure if it applied to tiels the way it does to other species like budgies and lovebirds...

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I can't wait to bring him home...I'm still waiting since he is not yet weaned. I have another question: Do I have to quaranteen him from budgies? Obviously he'll have his own cage, but should I keep him in a different room from the budgies for a period of times?

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
You should quarentine for 30 days away from the budiges. Have you been visiting him at the breeders?
No, I haven't been able to go visit him since I saw him last Tuesday. I'm really hoping that the guy that's selling him to me will call me this weekend to tell me he can come home. I just keeping in touch with the breeder via email.

·
Registered
9,464 Posts
I could not go see Spike either. My Dad got us lost for 2 hours on the way home when I went to choose Spike. So he said he is only going up there again to bring him home. He is horrible at directions :wacko:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts