Talk Cockatiels Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello Everyone,

It's nice to finally be able to introduce myself :) I've been lurking around the forum the last week trying to get myself accustomed with the layout of things!

My name is Ashley and I'm from Toronto, Ontario, Canada. I am actually becoming a first time cockatiel owner hopefully this coming weekend if everything goes well. I'll be meeting with a local breeder to spend some time with them and their cockatiels and hopefully will be bringing one home.

I am looking forward to spending some time with them on Saturday where I get to meet with their flock for an hour or so and ask questions before I make any decisions. My hope is to bring one of their little Lutino's home, they currently have ones that are 2-3 months old. They look so cute in the pictures!

Its been a long but fun process doing research and slowly building up everything I need to bring my first home. I have my cage all set up, a small collection of toys and have already sourced a local vet that does avian care (their only 5 minutes away from my house!).

I am looking forward to sharing my experiences with you and introducing my tiel when he/she has settled in!

·
Premium Member
6,217 Posts
Good luck Ashley! Just be warned, that small collection of bird toys will expand rapidly :wacko:

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
My manager where I work warned me about the same thing haha! She has a tiel named polly and she helped a lot with getting me started :D

I'm actually looking forward to toy shopping and building more of a collection of things ~

·
Registered
7,907 Posts
Hi, welcome to the forum! I hope you find the right 'tiel that is meant to be just for you! Good luck! :love:

·
Registered
786 Posts
Welcome! It is exciting to bring a new baby home! Don't forget a night light by his/her cage, it helps prevent night frights :)

·
Registered
2,384 Posts
Hello and welcome! Can't wait to 'meet' your fid when you bring him/her home. :)

Good luck Ashley! Just be warned, that small collection of bird toys will expand rapidly :wacko:
She's not kidding! We can't drive by a pet shop without stopping in to buy at least one toy, and have been known to redirect our route on occasion so that point A and point B 'just happen' to have a pet shop in between them. :D

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Welcome! It is exciting to bring a new baby home! Don't forget a night light by his/her cage, it helps prevent night frights :)
I do have a small Ikea night light, its actually shaped like a panda, it casts a blue light (or a green light). I wonder if that will work?

·
Registered
786 Posts
I do have a small Ikea night light, its actually shaped like a panda, it casts a blue light (or a green light). I wonder if that will work?
I am sure it will :) Just enough to let them see around their cage a bit is all they need. Can't wait to meet the new little one!

·
Registered
414 Posts
Welcome to the forum! You sound like you have everything ready and set to bring home your birdie. Waiting is the hard part.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I had an amazing evening with Hubert at KSHM Aviary. He was such a fun and informative person. He let myself and my friend Britney get to know each of the available little ones and told us a little about each while letting us ask questions and get more information.

I was really torn in the end when I had two that really spoke to me but this little one was just a sweet heart and loved getting little rubs on the back of its neck.

It was really wonderful to be hands on with the tiels and boy what different personalities each of them had. I even got to meet the parents~

The picture is a little blurry that I've attached as its a cellphone picture but this is my little one on the way home (it was taken through one of the vent holes in the box). I dont want to startle or stress the little one anymore with getting too close for pictures I know Ill have plenty of time later on. Currently the little tiel is settling in, I've prepared a nice quiet space where we can be in and around but not too bothersome while settling occurs. I've told the rest of the family (my grandparents) to give the new family member some space too.

This is Nugget! (Nugs)

Nugget was born on May 26 2015

Currently Nugs seems comfortable. It took a little bit but Nugs has finally waddled out from between the food and water dishes and is now settled on the center of the main perch of the cage, kinda looks like its almost sleep time soon ~

Attachments

·
Registered
786 Posts
Aww, Nugs is adorable! Sounds like s/he is already settling in. Congratulations on your new baby :)

·
Registered
7,907 Posts
Nugs is a total cutie! Congrats! :clap: I can't wait to hear more about him/her! :)

·
Registered
878 Posts
Hi Ashley and Nugs! Welcome from me and Percy :)

·
Registered
31 Posts
Welcome welcome!!

I am thrilled for your and your new friend and can't wait to meet it!

It is SO much fun to spoil our little friends!! My kids tease me and say that they are jealous of my Buddy because he has more toys and extras then they do!!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts