Talk Cockatiels Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi¡! My cockatiel arrived yesterday morning home. It's my first time with a bird and I've been reading a lot about them for almost two whole months. Yesterday he didn't touch his food, I was told this was normal, and he ate and drank water today so I'm not that worried. However, I've noticed he doesn't move unless I move him around. I move him to the food or water from time to time despite the bites but I'm worried about it. Does he just need time to adjust to his new home? Should I keep moving him around? Is it ok if I take him off the cage despite his little bites? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks everyone!

·
Registered
76 Posts
Hi there! It's completely normal for a new bird to not move around on his own very much. He is watching for danger and trying to 'hide' by blending in with his surroundings hehe. :lol: Do not take him out of his cage yet. I understand why you're worried, but it's best if you leave him alone as much as possible for the first two days.

What might help is covering his cage with a blanket on three sides so he doesn't feel threatened from all directions. You should also hang some food (millet spray, leafy greens) near the area(s) where he likes to sit. The user tielfan actually made an excellent post about this. I think you will find it very helpful.

Good luck and keep us posted on how he's doing. :D Do you have a name for him yet?

·
Registered
7,907 Posts
Hello there :)

Sounds perfectly normal for a new cockatiel settling into his new enviroment. This Sticky article is a good read in regards to bringing a new bird home.

How old is he and was he hand raised? If he is really young and has just weaned they can have a bit of trouble eating when adjusting to their new home. You can try sprinkling some food on the bottom of his cage or on a table when he's out - very young 'tiels find it easier to eat this way than from a dish.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.