Talk Cockatiels Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi am am new to this forum and my pair have had their first sucessful eggs. They have had several clutches but whilst the eggs were fertile they all were dying in the egg i have no idea why but i took 2 eggs from their last clutch of the 5 they had and put them into a incubator. The 3 still with parents unfortunately look like again they have died in the egg but the two in my incubator are going strong and one is in the process of hatching so i am a very excited feather mama. I am hoping to place the chick back with the parents to raise and steal one of the dead eggs and do the same for the other chick as it hatches. I do have everything ready if i do need to raise though. My query is my female is clear pied and my male is a clear pied whiteface just out of excited curiosity what sort of % of colour do you think these babies will have?

·
Registered
10,914 Posts
All of the babies will be pied (not necessarily clear pied). If the hen is split to whiteface you can get whiteface chicks, and anything else depends on what splits the parents have.

The history of eggs dying in the nest but surviving in the incubator suggests to me that the parents might be letting the eggs get cold. If they sit well in the daytime, then it's probably happening at night. A parent bird that is frightened during the night will leave the nest and not go back inside until there is enough light to see whether it's safe in there. This means that the eggs could be unattended for several hours, and get chilled and die.

Unfortunately this can happen to babies that have already hatched too. So do whatever you can to prevent night frights. Have a night light in the room to help the parents see, and do whatever you can to prevent disturbances that might frighten the parents off the nest.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you so much thats great info and you are possibly right they do have a night light i will i admit i havent seen any stages at least one hasnt been in the nest i even went through a stage of checking them after there first few lots of eggs and they seem to sit fine its really odd, i think i will end up investing in a nest camera as i admit its been seriously driving me barmy.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts