Talk Cockatiels Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone,
My Uncle and I have a new clutch of 4. Started off With 6 babys however 2 perished. The remaining 4 are 4 weeks old and seem to be doing ok with the exception of the lone Red Eye Lutino who is very good looking. This chick was very slow growing at first. At appoximately 2 weeks of age all the other chicks looked like should according to books and internet however the Lutino was very small and did not have nearly as many feathers as the others. During week 3 the Lutino grew at a rapid pace eventually catching up to the others. Now I have noticed that the Lutino is not using its left leg very well. It just squats most of the time. Upon inspection of the leg, I dont see obvious signs as to something is wrong. But he/she will not move using its left leg. When I turn the chick upside down onto its back it will hardly kick its left leg the way it kicks with the right. I know something is wrong but not sure if i should just let the chick battle through this "phase" or seek professional help. it seems like this chick has been a fighter since hatching. I really want this chick to pull through because of that.
Another question is at what age will they feed on their own. I have read that is different with all birds but usually weaning occurs between 8-12 weeks. Does that sound about right? When should I start to allow them to eat soft foods?

·
Registered
350 Posts
Hey there!

In answer to your question about the egg; are the parents feeding the baby? If they aren't then that's a sure sign that there is something wrong as the parents will abandon a chick who won't make it.

If you don't have parents or the parents are feeding it I would ask a vet, just to be safe. You can never be too careful.

·
Registered
1,718 Posts
Welcome to the forum ! I totally agree - Its better to be safe than sorry Could you please post pics of your babies? Oh -regarding weaning and info about cockatiel breeding- this forum has got loads of information and experts to help you All the best X x Teresa from sunny Brazil

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hey there!

In answer to your question about the egg; are the parents feeding the baby? If they aren't then that's a sure sign that there is something wrong as the parents will abandon a chick who won't make it.

If you don't have parents or the parents are feeding it I would ask a vet, just to be safe. You can never be too careful.
Yes, the parents are in the cage with them. (its a large cage) The 4 babies are in the nesting box. One chick has been getting out on a regular basis but doesnt seem to find it's way back in.
As far as the Lutino,(only one lutino in the clutch) the parents seem to be feeding it as he has been growing in size at a rapid rate. However the Lutino can't seem to put weight on the left leg. so most of the time it just stays in a squatted position.
I have been thinking about putting some veggies in the nesting box as to introduce them to some new food and to see if the chicks will eat.

·
Registered
350 Posts
As far as the Lutino,(only one lutino in the clutch) the parents seem to be feeding it as he has been growing in size at a rapid rate. However the Lutino can't seem to put weight on the left leg. so most of the time it just stays in a squatted position.
Okay, it's a good sign that the parents are feeding it. However, I still highly recommend taking him to a vet.

·
Premium Member
19,909 Posts
I moved the thread to the breeding section since it is about your clutch.

I would also recommend a vet visit. The baby could've been injured when it was younger and you are only seeing it now.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I will take it to the vet and see what they have to say about it. I hope it's something he can overcome.

·
Registered
350 Posts
I will take it to the vet and see what they have to say about it. I hope it's something he can overcome.
Good luck! Keep us updated :)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts