Talk Cockatiels Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello Everyone,
I'm very excited my 2 cockatiels have been mating and are currently sitting on 3 eggs :)
I have a few questions that i'm hoping someone will answer please

Is it possible for the first couple of eggs to be infertile and the rest fertile in a clutch?
My girl started sitting straight after the first egg was laid, normal?
When should I candle?
And last question, my tiels sit on the nest together is that normal? I keep reading how most peoples take turns...

Thank you for your time and sorry for all the questions I just want to do everything right.
:grey tiel:

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
Eggs can be infertile in the beginning and fertile at the end depending on when mating took place and how good of a connection a male makes with the hen's vent during copulation.

Hens sometimes will sit right away, some wait until they lay a few. That is normal. Sitting right away is a sign of a small clutch size, every hen has their number.

Candling is tricky business, if the parents are very jumpy and don't like it when you're in the nest box you're best off waiting until they leave to eat. In the rare occasion they are calm, then anytime should be okay just don't overdo it. No more than once a day, and don't roll or touch the eggs early on. The parents usually have a system of turning, turning them yourself can expose the embryo to raise up under the parent's provided heat, get too close and fuse to the shell causing death. If there is no embryo or a blood ring after seven days, you can remove that egg and the hen will usually lay another in its place.

Some parents take turns, some sit together. Sitting together is best for large clutches, taking turns is better for colder months with smaller clutch sizes.

Get some hand feed and learn how to feed the chicks yourself. First time parents are not the best, its very possible they will need a helping hand from you.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts