Talk Cockatiels Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Premium Member
19,909 Posts
I always just took one bowl and filled it completely with seeds. I would blow the husks off every morning and once there weren't any seeds left I refilled it. Then I would also have a separate bowl for pellets. Most birds who weren't weaned onto different foods wont recognize pellets as food, so it's a lot easier to try nutriberries instead. They look like seeds but have the nutritional value of pellets. For veggies, start with leafy greens that you can hang in the cage. Hang millet too, the bird will treat them like toys and end up accidentally eating them.

As for touching, tiels aren't really supposed to be pet anywhere but their heads. Anywhere else can make them hormonal. And he's not "winning" when you try to touch him. There's no fight. He's is straight up telling you he doesn't like something and you need to respect that. Taming starts with respects. He's afraid of your hands so you have to go slowly, get him used to them first. Check out our training stickies for more info!!

Also, congrats on your newest baby!!

·
Premium Member
19,909 Posts
Honestly, you gotta keep working with him in the cage. Issues are that if you let him out then have to chase him and towel him to catch him, you will ruin any progress you've made with him. You can try taking his cage into a small room like the bathroom and let him out there, that way catching him isn't so hard and traumatizing. Keep adding the veggies to the cage, he's still very new and not quite settled in yet, so right now everything is super scary to him. Once he settles in more, he will start to move around and play with things. Just remember to go at his pace and don't force him, he will come around eventually.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.