Talk Cockatiels Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, just a week ago I bought my first bird from a pet store. They told me he's between 3-4 months old. He's very feisty and always wants to bite me. I havent really been able to tame him because he wins every time. Ive always heard that its better to buy them from a breeder instead of a pet store but I just fell in love with him right away. So we're both taking it little by little. (but can admit im very impatience and just want to be able to pet him at least once because he's so cute! )

Im constantly googling questions that I have about my bird but so far I have found nothing that can help me with portion size feedings. Because the pet store only fed him seeds he refuses to eat the pellets, veggies, and even spray millets that I've bought him. Ive read everything about how pellets should be a certain percentage of its diet but I want to know if im feeding him enough everyday? I put him at least 2 and a half tablespoons of seeds in his bowl mixed with pellets. He sometimes spits out the pellets and only eats certain seeds. Im worried that I might not be feeding him enough or maybe too much. So does any one have an idea of a portion size (tablespoons) I should feed him? Thaank youu!:tiel1:

·
Premium Member
19,909 Posts
I always just took one bowl and filled it completely with seeds. I would blow the husks off every morning and once there weren't any seeds left I refilled it. Then I would also have a separate bowl for pellets. Most birds who weren't weaned onto different foods wont recognize pellets as food, so it's a lot easier to try nutriberries instead. They look like seeds but have the nutritional value of pellets. For veggies, start with leafy greens that you can hang in the cage. Hang millet too, the bird will treat them like toys and end up accidentally eating them.

As for touching, tiels aren't really supposed to be pet anywhere but their heads. Anywhere else can make them hormonal. And he's not "winning" when you try to touch him. There's no fight. He's is straight up telling you he doesn't like something and you need to respect that. Taming starts with respects. He's afraid of your hands so you have to go slowly, get him used to them first. Check out our training stickies for more info!!

Also, congrats on your newest baby!!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have tried a few times hanging some lettuce, spinach, and millets and he's such a character that he will avoid going over there until I take it off. So it's been a huge struggle.

Also, another thing that I have with him is that since I got him a week and a half ago I havent let him out of his cage at all. I really do want to let him walk around but because he's not tamed and always tries to viciously bite me, Im afraid that I wont be able to put him back into the cage. or that he'll get really scared with me even more. I know theres so much people that say to bribe them with snacks/millets but my little birdie doesnt even like going anywhere near them. I highly doubt that the pet store ever let him out because I also feel like he doesnt even know how to fly. His wings were already clipped when I got him but sometimes I see him fall in his cage when he cant get to the place he wants. Is there any tips that can help me with this. I feel really bad that hes stuck there in a cage but I dont know what to do in a case like this.

·
Premium Member
19,909 Posts
Honestly, you gotta keep working with him in the cage. Issues are that if you let him out then have to chase him and towel him to catch him, you will ruin any progress you've made with him. You can try taking his cage into a small room like the bathroom and let him out there, that way catching him isn't so hard and traumatizing. Keep adding the veggies to the cage, he's still very new and not quite settled in yet, so right now everything is super scary to him. Once he settles in more, he will start to move around and play with things. Just remember to go at his pace and don't force him, he will come around eventually.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.