Talk Cockatiels Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone

I'm minding two young cockatiels for 1-2 weeks and I think I'm out of my depth.

I'm home all day but can't be/play with them full time due to my depression. Their cage is not big enough for even one bird imho so we have them out of the cage from morning until night (bedtime). I've laid towels over our dining table and their cage for them to walk and climb on, but they don't have any toys they're interested in - but they nibble on a few shoelace-ends we gave them, and they love their seed bell and the back of a cane chair to perch and chew and scratch on.

They seem to be malting? And they both have a bit of blood under their wings from preening i think? They're not really friendly with each other - the one i presume is the female (who can't fly due to clipped wings; she's all white so we call her Luna) she's quite docile but sqwawks softly and nips at the presumably male one (yellow so we call him Sunny; he can fly) when they try to eat at the same time from the same feeder, and when Sunny nears her spot on the cane chair. Sunny is inquisitive and quite gentle.

I've tried to rig up some improvised rope perch-obstacle things but they don't go for it unless i put them on it - and they quickly scramble off. Sunny flies around a bit, but not much (I've laid towels on different shelves and things to coax him and he's been flapping away more of his own accord which seems good.

I'm worried they're bored/not stimulated/sad/feel neglected. I want to give them toys and obstacles that will interest them - challenge them and give them exercise so they're not just sitting around nibbling their seed (or napping; I'm not sure how much sleep is too much? It's Autumn here so the temperature is fairly cool, but we put them to bed around 6 or 7pm and wake them around 8 or 9am.)

I know they're not with us for very long but i want them to be happy while they're here. I can be in the same room as them most of the day and they're content to sit on my shoulders but I can't play with them for 12 hours. I'm hoping someone can help me with ways for them to entertain themselves? Homemade toys? And get Sunny to be happy flying around on his own?

- edith ♡

·
Registered
45 Posts
First of all it sure sounds to me like your doing an AWSOME job of taking care of these birds! Actually from what you have written, it sounds like your pretty much doing all you can for them which is A LOT better than some people that claim to love birds! Your putting them to bed at a good time and it will not hurt them to nap some in the day time. Birds are like young kids...getting into everything and tiring themselves out so it's natural for them to nap some in the daytime. You don't really have to be with them 24/7 just keep an eye on them when there OUT of the cage. Who knows, if you take a liking to these birds you may even become a cockatiel owner sometime!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
phew! okay that's a load off my mind really, thankyou for saying so! ♡
Regarding them as kids energy-wise is a good tip. I'll keep that in mind, and I'm glad their sleep schedule sounds okay too :)
Whenever i go out of the room they sqwawk a bit (sometimes they stop, sometimes not) so I'm hesitant to leave in case they actually need something or just prefer the company.
I'm sure I'll have more queries to post in the appropriate threads soon :3

Thankyou for your kind words and help! ♡♡

1 - 3 of 3 Posts