Talk Cockatiels Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi there,

I am getting my first bird this week. Daisy is just under a year old and is not doing well in her current situation, which has been described as noisy and chaotic (several other birds, kids, dogs, etc.). She has started fighting with her sister/cagemate (it is a large cage). The owner thinks she will thrive in a peaceful, quiet, lower-energy home with a person of her own to really pay attention to her needs (I can provide that). She is described as a bit shy, and maybe a little depressed.

I am providing a quiet room with plenty of natural light where I work most of the day, a large cage, plenty of toys, foraging opportunities, great diet with fresh veggies, natural perches, misting/baths, etc. I know clicker training and will try to play games with her. But I will not push her boundaries. I am patient, sensitive, calm, have good energy, and read cues well. I have successfully drawn other species out of their shells (horses, hamsters, rabbits, dogs, cats, chickens), so I think I will do OK with her. She just needs time and understanding, I hope. I plan to basically just let her be for a while, with me around as much as possible, and to reward her tiniest efforts to be curious about me. She can have hours of out-of-cage time when she is ready for it.

My concern is that she has stopped preening herself and is missing a few tail feathers. She is NOT plucking, and is otherwise very healthy (vet check). I would appreciate your thoughts on this.

Photo is from current owner. I will not provide a mirror.

(Her current owner is being open and honest with me, wants a great home for Daisy, and is doing her best to make sure we have success, which is great. She is basically giving me the bird and her supplies and will mentor me going forward.)

Thank you!

Attachments

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
Tlc

Hi - it sounds like you are giving this bird a great new home. I think you will be a wonderful cockatiel owner! It sounds like you have done your homework and will give her a great home! As to the lack of preening, I think that could be due to the stress of the move and a new environment. You said she'd had a good vet check so it's sounds like everything's okay there. I think what you've said sounds like a good plan for her: that she needs time and space and just "let her be" to have time to adjust. Your patience and quiet presence will help a lot. A sprig of millet offered in the hand is a good thing too! Best wishes! Thanks for giving this cockatiel a great forever home! I am sure she will be happy there once she adjusts!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hey, thanks! I will do my best. The thing is, she hasn't moved in with me yet, she is not preening in her current situation. She comes home with me on Tuesday. I bet you will say that she should improve once her situation is better for her. I will do my best for her (I'm prepping her room right now, drying some organic apple rings, and making toys later today). I appreciate the kind words.

·
Registered
7,907 Posts
Hi there! :)

Daisy is gorgeous. It sounds like you can provide the perfect home and companionship for her. I think the missing tail feathers and the lack of preening Daisy is doing is due to the stress of her current situation, especially if there is bullying going on(?). Is she currently housed with other 'tiels? Once she moves in with you and settles in to her new environment, I'm sure she will be a lot happier and her personality will shine once she comes out of her shell. Some 'tiels don't do well with other animal companions and all they need is human company and attention (I have a special needs 'tiel Coco who is just like this. He is 100% bonded to me and due to him causing fighting amongst my flock I had to separate him and he is so much happier. All he wants is my attention, he never got along with my other 'tiels).

Best of luck to you and Daisy and please don't hesitate to post about any questions or concerns you may have once you bring her home. :)

·
Registered
7,907 Posts
Looking forward to seeing some more pics of gorgeous Daisy. She reminds me of my normal grey hen, Cheeky. :)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.