Talk Cockatiels Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I just "rescued" a tiel from a home with a grabby four year old. Actually, they were very nice people but the older child who wanted the bird didn't keep up his end of the "I'll feed, it clean up after it, etc..." bargain so they decided "no more birds"

Despite the grabby small child; the bird is quite sweet; she snuggled up to her primary caregiver and had no problem stepping up onto my finger when I went to see her.

they thought he was a a "two month old male" (uh, they'd had her longer than three months)

I contacted the small local pet store they purchased her from to see how old birds normally were when they sold them and when they last sold one, we determined that the bird is closer to a year old (and judging by the bars on the tail a female)

She was very funny on the car ride home hanging on the side of the cage wolf whistling at me.

I gave her a day in her new home to get settled in before handling her and worked slowly with her.

She never had treats before and loves millet spray and the fruit/veggie/seed honey treats. I'm trying to introduce fresh fruit and veggies, but she's not that interested yet.

It's been less than a week (only five days) and she's happily chattering away and clowning around in her cage (lots of beak grinding going on as well). I keep her near where I most often sit so that I can talk and sing to her on a regular basis.

She'll let me pet her, but doesn't enjoy it yet; so I just gently stroke her head behind her crest a few times and let it go (previous owners said she liked that)

The kids called "him" "Commando" so I renamed "her" "Cheeky Bird" (she has pretty bright cheek patches for a female)

I even got my first kiss from her the other day...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GX0lB5AJQJI

and just to make this post totally obnoxious... here's another video of her sitting on my shoulder chattering away...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YEBPc1oKc_s

I'd say we're doing pretty well for only five days :)

·
Registered
2,874 Posts
She's gorgeous! She looks like a very pretty cinnamon to me. Might be the lighting. Congrats on your new girl! It does sound like she's settling in really well! Keep up the great work! :D

·
Registered
6,100 Posts
Welcome and congrats she's gorgeous. Definately a girl in that second video that was female mating behaviour:p (she wanted to be mated with)

·
Registered
13,738 Posts
Aww she is gorgeous :love: I want her ;)
welcome to the forum... I agree the chatty video is female behaviour

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks everyone.

I guess I'll just have to gently explain to her that I don't love her in "that" way ;)

DyArianna, I can't see any brown in her feathering; most of the feathers look gray to me; she does have a lot of yellow on her tail, some in her wings and on her belly.

We just had a bonding session where she sat on my shoulder for a while; she did the chatty thing and then settled down. She's more trusting of me petting the back of head, but I don't push too much right now.

She did give me a couple kisses and preened me a bit (she loves my hair which is probably not a good thing as it's likely a choking hazard)

I wonder if the warranty on my new glasses frames covers being chewed on by a curious cockatiel?

~L

·
Registered
13,738 Posts
Mine like to preen my hair aswell and always try for the eyelashes too
i be picking up my glasses tomorrow so i guess that be a new thing for them

·
Registered
13,610 Posts
she is a cinnamon, thats why she has brighter cheek patches. and cheek patches actually have little to do with sexing :)

shes gorgeous!!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I had no idea she was anything other than a normal gray. I thought Cinnamons appeared more brownish than grayish...

In any event I think she's a pretty bird (then again, I am biased ;)

·
Registered
3,185 Posts
Hi! Welcome to the forums! I hope you like it here! Your cockatiel looks so cute!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks everyone.

today is day six and we're doing well. She's giving me kisses and letting me scratch her behind the head. She really is a sweet bird.

Now that I know she's a naughty bird, I shot a new short video today.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nGioR3jzUJs

She does this for a few minutes and then switches to preening and beak grinding; so I think she's pretty comfortable...

~L

·
Registered
578 Posts
Welcome to Talk Cockatiels! Loved the video, so sweet :)

·
Registered
261 Posts
I find it difficult to distinguish a cinnamon from a grey unless they are sitting side by side. THEN, the color difference is really obvious! She's cute!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts