Talk Cockatiels Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
761 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello Everyone! I'm new here and the forum looks great. I'm bringing home my first cockatiel in two weeks and I'm very excited!

The thing is, I'd love to keep my cockatiel flighted if at all possible, simply for the purpose of exercise. It's a hand reared baby, so taming isn't a problem. I know this is an issue that divides people and this is my first bird so I'd welcome any advice. I have to admit I am worried about is my windows and mirrors.

I've got stickers up on my windows at the moment. Does anyone have flighted tiel that has learned to recognise windows? Does anyone have a flighted tiel who never has? Any stories/advice will be welcome!

Thanks guys! X

·
Registered
323 Posts
I don't have any experience with this per say. I will say that stickers should help, but if it were me I would cover the mirrors. If you're worried about the windows you could use blinds or curtains when the bird is out.

I'm excited for you and your new baby! Congrats. :)

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
My tiels took a few weeks to really start to recognize that the windows were even there. Rhea and Nyx kept hitting it so blindly, I put duct tape across both of them for a little while so that they could see it as a solid surface. Cockatiels are intelligent birds, they eventually start to pick up on it not being an escape route. Sometimes when one sets the others off and all of a sudden I have five tiels and a conure flying in a panic around the room (which is a sight to see, let me tell you, lol), there are still some instances in all the confusion that someone hits the window. Its just unavoidable sometimes, but it decreases over time.

The stickers should help your bird recognize that its a solid surface instead of an open window, and within a few weeks, he should be a pro with it. They really do learn quickly. Just remember, they still have a big learning curve when they're that young and flying at all is still new to them so it'll be an experience for both of you as he gets the hang of it. He'll probably be pretty clumsy in the beginning. Early congrats on bringing your first 'tiel home!

·
Registered
181 Posts
Each time I have moved (or when in a hotel) with Corona, I put blue masking tape in an "X" across the windows or mirrors for a day and then show her where they all are. That is all she needs to remember to never try flying through the glass. :)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts