Talk Cockatiels Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone! It's been a while since I have been on. We recently moved and have been getting settled in.

Lorenzo finally started molting! Which I'm very excited about. His yellow face is so much more vibrant now. Only thing is that he constantly preens himself and seems itchy. I imagine growing new feathers wouldn't be very comfortable. He's also being very temperamental. Is there anything I can do to help him?

I tried bathing him but he doesn't like baths at all, he won't get in the shower, and hates being misted. I guess he just enjoys being dirty. Hahah.

·
Registered
786 Posts
Molting can make them itchy for sure. Milo hated baths until I started using very warm water, and sprayed it from above. I kept doing it even though at first he would go away from it, and then he realized it felt pretty good. The temperamental thing is pretty normal as molting puts them under a lot of stress. Aren't they cute when they finally start getting their yellow face in? Milo finally has most of the yellow in, but still has some grey too. I do kind of miss that baby face too though.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Molting can make them itchy for sure. Milo hated baths until I started using very warm water, and sprayed it from above. I kept doing it even though at first he would go away from it, and then he realized it felt pretty good. The temperamental thing is pretty normal as molting puts them under a lot of stress. Aren't they cute when they finally start getting their yellow face in? Milo finally has most of the yellow in, but still has some grey too. I do kind of miss that baby face too though.
Thanks for the advice. I'll keep trying to mist him. I did put very warm water, not hot, in the sink on Sunday and he stayed in it for a while. He just didn't really "bathe". The entire time he stared at me like I was crazy for putting him in there. I even left the water dripping thinking maybe that would entice him.

I do love to watch how much he is changing. I just realized this weekend how much more grown up he looks! Almost all of his gray face is gone, and half of his tail is so long now! The other half still has striped baby feathers though, it's pretty funny. :lol:

·
Registered
2,384 Posts
I love watching the tail grow in! :) Joey was clumsy and had a duck butt until he was nearly 11 months old. I miss his dirty faced babyhood, but love how he is so much more adventurous and brave as a big boy.

Joey didn't move away from the mist the first few times, but sat there as if he wasn't sure what he was supposed to do. By his 3rd or 4th bath, he was doing the shower dance like a pro. It could take a bit of time and several tries, but Lorenzo will hopefully get there soon. :)

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Lorenzo had a duck but too. Most of his 'baby' tail feathers were broken so it's weird seeing him with an actual tail now.

I hope he starts enjoying some type of bath soon. I don't want him to be dirty and itchy. Lol.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts