Talk Cockatiels Forum banner

First Molt Advice

744 views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  Zachary&Me 
#1 ·
Hello, Zak is has been having his first molt. I have read molts, especially the first one, can be very painful and feathers are dropping all over. He absolutely hates water, even though I introduce some sort of misting and/or shower everyday. But he just runs from it. I tell him it will make his feathers feel so much better and have been able to get him misted throughly a couple of times. I am a bit concerned with his right wing because I see that a feather is dropping underneath and he just has been really squawking about that to the point where it's alarming and he wont let me touch it. However, other times he flaps both of his wings continuously and joyfully and there doesn't appear to be any problem. He does have a vet check up tomorrow and the doctor can take a look see underneath his wing. Has anyone else experienced this scenario and can you tell me what you have done to make your 'tiel more comfortable? Thanks for your replies.:wf grey:

#2 ·
Yes, I've been thru the same thing with our first tiel. She too had a rough time with her first molt. Besides the feather issues, she was also very cranky! That feather you see hanging down is probably a blood feather. Since you have a vet appointment, I would let them deal with it. As to baths, non of my four are crazy about it but if you will give yours one about once a week, they will get use to it. I use a plastic pan with luck warm water with a little mix of 100 % aloe gel. That helps there feathers during a molt.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.