Talk Cockatiels Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My first ever chick has hatched! Thank goodness it got out of the egg alright. The only think is, there is currently no bedding underneath the chick or the other eggs, as there parents have pushed it away. I hear that this can cause splayed legs, which is the last thing I want. Can anyone tell me how to get the bedding back under the nest box contents in the most quick and peaceful way possible? I feel like I chose the wrong material for nesting, and I want to fix it ASAP if this is the case. I'm using straw, but I want to change it to aspen. The parents won't let me pick out the soiled bedding, and to be honest, I'm scared to separate the parents and the chick to swap it with aspen.
The parents aren't touching the greens I offered them either. They're sticking to seed - I'm hoping that it's sufficient, but I'll carry on giving them veggies anyway. Any tips to help the little guy will be good too! He's lively and is chirping away.
I'm so worried, even though the chick looks and sounds healthy. I've even seen the mother feeding it, and I am still nervous. Any reassurance or tips would be much appreciated.

·
Registered
271 Posts
Congratulations on your first chick! I know the feeling well. I'm about to have five more myself (if all goes well) and this will be our third clutch! Don't worry so much about the nesting material. It;s common for parents to build a hole in the middle of what ever material you are using. It really makes no sense but that's how cockatiels are. You never mentioned just how many other eggs you have. One thing you WILL need to do on a regular basis after all are hatched is clean out the nest box and replace fresh bedding, Believe me, it can get dirty in there REALLY fast! Are you planing on hand feeding and taming? It requires some getting use too but in the end, you'll have a MUCH easier happy baby do deal with as it grows. Good luck!

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Congratulations on your first chick! I know the feeling well. I'm about to have five more myself (if all goes well) and this will be our third clutch! Don't worry so much about the nesting material. It;s common for parents to build a hole in the middle of what ever material you are using. It really makes no sense but that's how cockatiels are. You never mentioned just how many other eggs you have. One thing you WILL need to do on a regular basis after all are hatched is clean out the nest box and replace fresh bedding, Believe me, it can get dirty in there REALLY fast! Are you planing on hand feeding and taming? It requires some getting use too but in the end, you'll have a MUCH easier happy baby do deal with as it grows. Good luck!
Thank you for the luck! I'm not planning on hand feeding, but I have a pet shop just over the road if worst comes to worst and I have to get formula. I'm worried about replacing the material. I need to do it now actually, as the father has soiled it quite a bit, but I'm a bit nervous to separate the chick and the parents to do this. Any tips? I have four other eggs but it only looks as if one will hatch. The rest are DIS. Should I remove them? Also, are the chicks always chirping or are they silent sometimes? He's quite noisy at the moment. Good luck to you too by the way! I just really want this chick to have the best chance. I'd be devastated if I lost him. He’s got lovely white feathers, (but there aren’t many) on his back.

·
Registered
271 Posts
Thank you for the luck! I'm not planning on hand feeding, but I have a pet shop just over the road if worst comes to worst and I have to get formula. I'm worried about replacing the material. I need to do it now actually, as the father has soiled it quite a bit, but I'm a bit nervous to separate the chick and the parents to do this. Any tips? I have four other eggs but it only looks as if one will hatch. The rest are DIS. Should I remove them? Also, are the chicks always chirping or are they silent sometimes? He's quite noisy at the moment. Good luck to you too by the way! I just really want this chick to have the best chance. I'd be devastated if I lost him. He’s got lovely white feathers, (but there aren’t many) on his back.
Since this may very well be the only survivor from this clutch, I'd say go a head and clean out that nest box but do it quick. I wouldn't seperate the parents and chick any longer than necessary .I would leave the other eggs in for a few days more just to make sure they don't hatch.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Since this may very well be the only survivor from this clutch, I'd say go a head and clean out that nest box but do it quick. I wouldn't seperate the parents and chick any longer than necessary .I would leave the other eggs in for a few days more just to make sure they don't hatch.
Hello. One of the eggs looks like it’s going to hatch very soon, but the rest are grey. I’ll leave them in until I’m sure they’re bad. I’ve bought some Aspen and I’m going to replace the material later today. The chick is still going strong and taking food like a champ. The only thing is, the parents aren’t eating their greens. I’m adding fresh spinach into the chop. Hopefully that will tempt them. I truly believe that he’ll be okay. Thank you!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts