Talk Cockatiels Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi! I'm new to this forum, and the reason I joined is because I desperately want to know how best to take care of my darling little tiel hen and her prescious little egg.
She (Peaky) was handraised by us (me and my partner). We bought her what we hoped was (and has turned out to be) a male we named Toby that was also handraised, but not by us (I think some trauma with cutting his wings has put him off going near our hands forever, although he will happily climb all over me to chase Peaky).
I have never seen her let Toby come near enough to consummate, but here she is laying an egg (actually it's the second one, the first she just left there and my partner tried to find a safe warm place for it but it cracked, sadly).
I need to know: Can cockatiel hens lay without being first "serviced" by a male?
When she gets "clucky" I used to stroke her but since Toby arrived - gosh, more than 6 months ago) I have refused to "service" her needs, you guys know what I'm saying, right?
Anyway, my main worry(s) right now:
Is there any way to know whether the egg is fertilised? The first egg was abandoned, but this one she is sitting on and protecting aggressively. Both are her first eggs, the first one was laid 3 days ago, the last one yesterday.
Toby (the male) is hassling her and often preventing her from feeding when she rushes out of her den to have a drink and eat. He sits in her doorway and keeps watch - I think I glimpsed him feeding her but I'm not sure because normally he acts in such a push-over type of way.

I love my little Peaky - I can't have children so she is kind of a child to me...and that egg is the precious grandchild. I love my little Peaky so very very much - can anyone inform me to make sure her darling little life and that of her future offspring (my first grand-children) are happier and healthier?

·
Registered
19 Posts
answer to first ? is yes hens can lay without breeding. yes you can tell if the egg is fertile after the hen sets the egg for about a week you can candle the egg. if its fertile you will see red veins throughout the egg.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts