Talk Cockatiels Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We are planning on getting a cockatiel on December 29th,and I was wondering what I should do on the first day once it arrives! It is going to be a young,almost full-feathered one and we're going to choose one by random,so we won't know whether or not it's a boy or a girl.

Any suggestions of what I should look out for during the first few days?

·
Registered
64 Posts
Hey,
That is so exciting and I am very happy for you on getting a cockatiel. I read a lot before I got mine about how it would be scared and want to stay in the cage. But the moment I opened up the carrier to let my cockatiel out and put him in his new cage he climbed to my shoulder and stayed there. My cockatiel was only 2 months old when I got him, the breeder I got him from handled him everyday and sometimes hand fed him. Thats why he was so comfortable with me and really any human when I got him.

So I would ask your breeder if the cockatiel has been hand fed or handled when you go to pick your cockatiel up. If he hasn't been hand fed or handled that's okay and your cockatiel should still bond with you but may need more time to be comfortable with humans.

My breeder recommended taking him home and putting on a movie and letting my cockatiel sit on me. Don't touch him if he doesn't want it just letting him sit on me and get use to me.

I would also ask your breeder if your cockatiel has had it's wings clipped or not because if they haven't been clipped that makes it harder to try and safely bond with them outside the cage because if they get scared they will fly and could potentially injure themselves.

If your cockatiel is too scared to sit on you in the beginning you can always put them in their new cage and sing to them. Try to give them treats to get use to your hand (millet is a good treat). Whistle to him. If that scares him, even just sitting in the same room as your new cockatiel can help.

I hope that information helps! Good luck!

1 - 2 of 2 Posts