Talk Cockatiels Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2,299 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, here we have it! After waiting since March- April 2015 for eggs, Firestorm and Sideswipe have decided to lay! **Throws confetti and hands out cigars** I'm trying a new substrate called 'Critter Care' for the nest box. I've heard good things about it, such as it helping prevent crop impaction from shavings. **Shrugs** Worth the try :) Unfortunately, after working the nest box for 2 months, Firestorm refused to lay. It finally clicked in that it might be the substrate she's not used to. I put in a few sheets of newspaper for them and BAM! A day later I have an egg.

Could be coincidence, but it was too circumstantial not to say it was the newspaper that helped her out.

Below are the happy parents and their first egg evar. :D

Sideswipe (L) and Firestorm (R) proud parents by Vampiric Conure, on Flickr

Side and Fire's first egg ever by Vampiric Conure, on Flickr

·
Premium Member
19,909 Posts
Congrats!!! I would definitely keep an eye on the eggs, substrate like that (it looks similar to the care fresh) can cause the eggs to lose moisture and you end up having no hatchings. Just something to keep in mind. You can get a humidity gauge off of ebay for a pretty good price and hang that in the box to test the humidity.

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
first egg

How exciting! Congrats to the proud parents, and to you as the "grandparent" :) Best wishes for healthy babies!

·
Registered
786 Posts
Congratulations! I am sure they will be great parents, but just in case they have a wonderful grandma to take care of them :) Keep us posted!

·
Registered
7,907 Posts
Congratulations and best of luck!! :D

·
Registered
2,299 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Congrats!!! I would definitely keep an eye on the eggs, substrate like that (it looks similar to the care fresh) can cause the eggs to lose moisture and you end up having no hatchings. Just something to keep in mind. You can get a humidity gauge off of ebay for a pretty good price and hang that in the box to test the humidity.
Yeep! Thanks for the warning ! It's been crazy humid here as of late, but just in case I'm gonna get a Humidity Gauge. Thanks!

·
Premium Member
19,909 Posts
No problem! I had that issue with my first clutch, bought the stuff the store recommended and lost all but one egg. Trust me, can't go wrong with good old pine bedding! Can't wait to see babies!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts