Talk Cockatiels Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Today I guess Kirby took another huge step in the direction of improvement. At the rescue, he had a smaller cage, and never played with his toys. I'm still trying to get my mom over to Fallen Feathers so that Jody can convince her to get a new, bigger cage, but in the meantime have gotten him some new toys. And starting last night, he suddenly decided to start playing!

I was sitting in my room eating dinner, and I just happened to look over at him to see him hanging upside down from the top of his playground playing with a toy beneath the perch he was on :lol:

Now, just a little while ago, he was really going at this toy he has that is covered with beads and has a bell at the bottom, and then he turned around and started playing with one of his old toys from Fallen Feathers that he's never shown interest in before! A few minutes later, he climbed up to his playground and started throwing around an empty seedbar that I'd left there (I meant to throw it away and had forgotten).

I think this all started because of something I'd started doing lately. The last few days, when I would go to eat a meal, or hang out in the family room, rather than putting him on his perch (which is the usual routine), I just set him on the end of our kitchen island. The end of the kitchen island is covered with papers, among some other random stuff. And he loves it! He loves exploring, chewing on the papers, and throwing stuff around. Now I say to him "You want to play on the counter?" And I'll set him there and he gets all excited. I think that's what encouraged him to play more. He realized how fun it was!

·
Registered
128 Posts
wow !! good job Lunawolfsong :) Now that our sweet kirby is intrested in playing with toys.. he will start exploring more:) we would love to see him playing..please post some of his pics while he is playing:)

·
Premium Member
6,217 Posts
Yay! I love it when I see my birds goof around with a toy. It's cute to watch and it's good for them! Have you tried some foraging toys with Kirby? Those are the best to watch because they actually have to problem solve to get the reward

1 - 4 of 4 Posts