Talk Cockatiels Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I'm currently living in my parent's house with my cockatiel. My girlfriend and I have been talking about moving into an apartment together but we keep fighting about what to do with my bird.

I'm adamant about bringing him with me. I haven't been the best pet owner over the years. For a long while he received basic care but was largely ignored. I'm trying to make that right.

He currently has his own study. His wings aren't clipped and for many years we've let him be out 24/7. He has a couple different cages and bookshelves he can fly back and forth to, and I'm in the works of building him a new playgym. He is only put in his cage to sleep. This means that I really don't want to force him to stay in his cage all day in a new apartment. I feel he'd be really bored and depressed. My girlfriend's solution is to rent a two bedroom and give one room to him but I really don't think we can afford that.

Then there's also the dust, the mess and the noise. Sometimes he can be really noisy. I just know my girlfriend isn't going to be happy about that and if we're having bad fights now, I can only imagine what it will be like in the future.

Does anyone have any advice or experience with this sort of situation? We don't have any definite plans yet but I'm still really stressing out. Thanks!

·
Banned
2,058 Posts
If he's noisy he most likely wants your attention if your in the apartment you should just spend time with him give him some head scratches or something and if your busy and he's noisy cover his cage to calm him down and if you haven't really got time for him maybe consider another bird and he might be less noisy and play with the new bird

·
Registered
228 Posts
If I were in your in your shoes, I would make a little time each day to spend quiet time with your bird one on one. And find some ideas of what you want to do with him, training or spend time eating with him or giving him scritches. Even a safe shower time together or hanging out with him, just some things that help you get calm with him and vice versa. Sometimes the bond you make might even give you some stress free time too that you look forward to.

·
Registered
414 Posts
Any pet you have will require up keep and maintenance. For the dust and dander you can purchase an air filter. As far as the free flying goes, another room sounds like a good solution. You could look for an apt that has a study instead of a full extra bedroom or a dining room you could screen off.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts