Talk Cockatiels Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have two tiels. The first one I got a month ago. She didn't know how to fly but has figured out how to glide and is doing great getting around the flight cage. My second tiel I got a week ago. He was having a terrible time with getting around the cage and attempting to fly around the house. I try to keep him from trying to fly but every once and a while he gives it a go and catches me off guard. The problem is in his attempts to get around his cage and fly on his own he has broken off a lot of his tail feathers. My questions are: 1. can he learn to fly/glide with broken tail feathers? 2. how long do they take to come back? 3. how do I keep him from not doing this all over again once they grow back. I feel horrible about this and don't know what to do. In addition, his wings are clipped and his cage before I got him was a big fish tank so he never learned how to climb and was very clumsy. He is getting the hang of it but shoot his tail is a mess.

·
Registered
8,086 Posts
It's pretty common for this to happen to young tiels. The basic answer is that the feathers will need to molt out and then grow back in. That could take a few weeks to a few months. Try to keep him calm when you can, but I wouldn't try to prevent him from flying, because he needs to learn how. In the meantime, he'll be a duck butt for a bit, but it won't hurt him. :)

·
Registered
786 Posts
Milo is a complete duck butt...yep, every one of his tail feathers is gone. I can't wait for the wing feathers to grow out too- but that was the breeder who did that. Poor baby is grounded- but he gets around his cage like a charm.
I wouldn't worry, sooner or later, they will grow back.

·
Registered
1,225 Posts
Yes, it happens quite often to young tiels. My boy broke his tail feathers all the time when he was young. Nothing to worry about.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts