Talk Cockatiels Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hiya,
My two rescue birds have been mating lots and have started laying. There both sitting on the eggs pretty tight. However after 9 days there all looking to be infertile.
Is there anything I can do to improve fertility? I use vitamins and am trying to convert them to pellets (with a struggle).

Thanks.

·
Registered
786 Posts
Here are some good articles on breeding in the Cockatiel Breeding section: http://talkcockatiels.com/showthread.php?t=32275. Be sure the female is getting a good source of calcium also. A good balanced diet of fresh veggies, pellets, seeds, (also birds love sprouts which are very nutritious) is important and with that they will get their vitamins. Are they new at this? Sometimes it just takes practice for them before they get it right. Have you candled the eggs?

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi,
Thanks for your reply x
Candled the eggs a few days ago and they looked infertile - looking for the red spidery veins....however she has laid 3 more since so will check them tomorrow. My hand reared will take pellets but these 2 will not, I'm mixing pellets in with seed and they just pick round them. I use zolcal-d in water and aviculture 2 on food, also hard boiled egg and shell smashed up that they will pick at, don't seem to bother with any veg I try - will give sprouts a go tho. They are from a rescue centre, apparently they laid 4 months ago but were not allowed to sit!

Thanks again.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts